Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

question for private contractors

tiaj

For anyone who is not employed by company but contracts and uses
proE/. Do you bill for your time to
learn new version? Do you use tutorials,
just mess around or do you go to training.
Do you have to pay full $$ for training?
Just curious how others deal with these things.

thanks

whoisnot
Edit...
Revert to "whois not"contracts
counteracts
contractors
contractor's
Edit...
Revert to "cpntracts"pore
prow
PRO
pro
probe
Edit...
Ignore all
Add to dictionarylearn
Leanora
Leanor
leaner
Lean
Edit...
Revert to "leanr"(No suggestions)
Edit...
Ignore all
Add to dictionary(No suggestions)
Edit...
Ignore all
Add to dictionarySomnolent
Edit...
Ignore all
Add to dictionarywindowpane
windowing
Edit...
Ignore all
Edit...
Ignore all
Edit...
Ignore all
Edit...
Ignore all
Add to dictionarySummoned
Seminoles
Seminole
Smiled
Simonized
Edit...
Ignore all
Edit...
Ignore all
Edit...
Ignore all
Add to dictionarywindowpane
windowing
Edit...
Ignore all
Edit...
Ignore all
Edit...
Ignore all
Edit...
Ignore all
Edit...
Ignore all
Add to dictionarySomnolent
Edit...
Ignore all
Edit...
Ignore all
Edit...
Ignore all
Edit...
Ignore all
Add to dictionarySummoned
Seminoles
Seminole
Smiled
Simonized
Edit...
Ignore all
Add to dictionary

tiaj:

Always bill for your time. You are an engineer and learn fast.
Take on a project and go with it and learn on the job.
(unless you take a class)

Class:

If you take a class and your company pays for the class you might work
out a deal to not bill for the class. Maybe your company
will pay you for the class while you pay for the class.
These are negotiable.

FYI: I contracted Pro/E since 1991 for 7 years where I now work for design-engine. Now I train Contractors.

As a person that has hired contractors and had them working with us while we switched versions here is what we have done in the past. If the current contractor is with us and we switched versionsthe company would pay for the class but the contractor would attend the class on his own dime, meaning that if he attended 16 hours of training that he could not bill the company for that time. In some instances they could make the hours up that weekend or week. That is fair afterall sincethe person is getting a free class. This was the stance that all of the companies I worked for took and if the contractor would not agree to it basically he was gone when the new version was rolled out, for several reasons. It is a two way street and there needs to be some midpoint.Most were glad that the company paid for the training others wanted to get paid for it as well which is greedy in my opinion.
In the case of us hiring people that are supposed to be fluent in one build, nothing pisses the hiring companies off more than getting a guy in at some rate to find out that they never used the version that they are using and are just learning it. We have let several go in this case because we feel that we were lied to as well they look like deer in headlights so they are gone in the first week. It is best to be honest up front and spend some of your own time getting up to snuff. If your a decent ProE user there are several ways to get up to speed, I like to use the whats new documents or get an update book from someone like www.cadquest.com and than do the let me model something in the house or office, and hammer away. It takes time but afterall this is a living and you sometimes need to put that extra in, and it will pay off in the end.

I did not mean to imply that you should lie about your experiance.
Just that if you are there at a company learn on the fly.
Would be great if a company would pay for training to
contractors. I agree with 'slashct'

I personaly don't think much of that cadquest.com stuff. I
develope courses that I wish I could have taken myself. I
learn very fast on my own so what would happen if I get an engineer
that learns fast? (most do learn fast) I could teach him
even more quickly in person. Learning from tutors is not as
efficient.

Hi guys/gals(?) thanks for your replies.

The company I contract for is going to pay for training
going from 2001 to WF. As slashct said I
will be paying for my own transport, etc.
I know there are a lot of differences and even though I

But when you get up to speed, WF is 30 percent faster than that clunky
5 year old 2001 blue screen stuff. I have to teach a
2001 Pro/E basic class next week and I am pissed. How can
companies be so far behind.

Edited by: design-engine

As for billing I would Bill what it would normally take you and eat the difference, for two reasons. One is for you the ability to learn and work throught things, and the second is you mentioned that they are a good customer and if they feel that you are milking them they might start looking elsewhere (we did).... In the end you will make up the difference along the way.
I found the toughest thing in WF 2.0 is the detailing and they screwed that up besides what Bart said I could fly in the detail mode in 2001, now you have to be careful where you click and cannot click too fast otherwise the properties comes up.... for another forum.
AS for Cadquest, his books for the Update are the most complete and at $50 or whatever the update runs you will reap that in time.I just received the WF 2 to 3 Book and it is several hundred pages, the realease notes are 60 or so pages of dry changes and not everything explained, so now your going through the web or other sources to find it out. I also found that his books work well for beginers on ProE that are not the best users, and cannot handle a PTC class. For advanced users they are a little basic.
Edited by: slashct

Guys, since you work as independent contractors, do you sign any agreements with a company you work for? Do they ask you to sign an agreement?<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Do you buy any liability insurance?

Thanks,
Edited by: Geneg

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back