Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

question about measuring distance

wtb999

Is there some way I can measure the distance between two arcs at the points of tangency. See picture below. I want to measure the width of the part and Pro gives me the minimum distance between the arcs. I end up creating drawings for these measurements. is there a better way?

View attachment 5257

If those arcs are in the same plane [and most likely they are not] it will not be clear what needs to be measured. If this is a critical dimension then create a sketch feature that is defined by this and use analysis/ distance/ feature. I don't think there is anything in the straight measure that will give you what you want.

Assuming symmetry and the sides of the lip ar vertical you could add two datum planes tangent to the surfaces and measure the distance between them. If you have center axes you could place a plane through them and add points to the intersections of the curves and the plane to measure between.

Thanks guys. I will try these.

I did try the creating the sketch feature and then do
feature analysis. But it did the same thing there as well.
There was no option for tangent distance.

you could place a datumplane "outside" the modell , one on each side. Then measure from that plane to the outside of the box. Then let pro/E create a point to where it takes the dim . Do the same thing on both sides and you will have 2 points to measure between.

Hard to explain.... i will post some pics instead!

View attachment 5279

View attachment 5280

View attachment 5281

View attachment 5282

View attachment 5283

I`m not saying this is the best way.... but it works , and itmight help in this case.

//Tobias
Edited by: tobbo

Try picking the co-ord sys for projection direction. If one axis of the co-ord sys

is paralell to the line of the points.

in my opinion, it seems that the simplest way to do this is to create a sketch with the endpoints attached to the arcs at the locations in question. then, place a datum point at each endpoint of the sketched line (not needed but it allows the dimension to be calculated without having sketches turned on). then, just measure the distance between the two datum points.

whenever the geometry changes, the sketch and subsequently the datum points will move accordingly so the dimension should always give you what you're looking for.

but maybe I'm missing something.

I think the challenge here is deciding which point is going to give you the maximum dimension. The curves are 3d so you're looking for the diameter of a minimal circumscribed sphere that would fit.Regarding the offset planes, it's not intuitive which planes to offset. Giving it some more thought, but no clear answer comes to mind.
smiley5.gif

<tg>

2011-07-20_134509_shell_trial.prt.zip

Here it is Kennpy. Since I am trying to measure the maximum width, the easiest way I found based on all the comments, was to create a sketch with two vertical lines that are tangential to the arcs. The distance between these two is what I am looking for.

thanks kdem. all good solutions.
I like the first one. I have never used annotations much.
It would make this much quicker.

If you can measure point to point in Creo, then, you should be able to zoom in tight enough to find the tangent points. WF2 hilites the edges for you....

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back