Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

PURGE COMMONSPACE FOLDERS

vandewinckel

Good Morning

I'm using Intralink 3.4, I'm trying to purge some commonspace folders and I'm getting a conflict. I'm setting it to purge all except last revision, I selected all revisions A-AZ. Then I select verify and it gives me a conflict "can not delete family table objects" Does anyone know why I'm getting a message to delete family table object. I purge about once a year and I don't remember this message last time I purged a folder.

Thanks

Steve

You might have a case where you removed some instrances where you don't have that instance in latest generic model.

ProI is trying to delete all versions of the generic except for the latest but by doing so it is trying to deleting all versions of the instance.

If you truly want to do that, locate the generic (all revisions & all versions) and manually delete all exept for the latest. By doing this you will wipe out the instance that is no longer in the latest generic.

I hope this makes sense...

Charles

boydt said:
How do you purge all versions except the newest?

Pro E has a Batch file called Purge.bat. It is found in the \bin folder of Pro E. One way and simplist if your not comfortable with command line moving around is to copy that file, move it to the folder you want to purge and then paste it in the folder. Once you have it pasted double click on it to run it.

If your comfortable with command line manuvering then copy and paste the purge.bat into your windows folder, or add the directory that has the purge.bat into your path. Then open a command line in windows and cd into the folder you want to purge. Type in purge.

OR look for a program like Spekan purge tool and use it.

if you're dealing with Intralink the easiest way to purge old revisions is to use the Frame / purge. This will clear all old revisions from your workspace leaving only the latest behind. I use this every week to keep Intralink below critical mass...

mike_453 said:
if you're dealing with Intralink the easiest way to purge old revisions is to use the Frame / purge. This will clear all old revisions from your workspace leaving only the latest behind. I use this every week to keep Intralink below critical mass...

Actually I am talking about commonspace in Intralink. We save ALL versions and I am not sure why. Now we are running criticly low on available space so I was thinking that if ALL old versions were purged we could get back needed space until we change hardware and make the transition to PDM-Link.

we also save old revisions back into commonspace, but in workspace everytime you save, a new "frame" is created. Sometimes depending on how often you save, that could be 20 or more saved "frames" a day. I understand the need for saving downward revisions, but every 15 minute save? I think we are talking apples and oranges...

mike_453 said:
we also save old revisions back into commonspace, but in workspace everytime you save, a new "frame" is created. Sometimes depending on how often you save, that could be 20 or more saved "frames" a day. I understand the need for saving downward revisions, but every 15 minute save? I think we are talking apples and oranges...

The way I see it revisions are differant than versions.... Versions are everytime you check in (not save).. ie versions of a revision. Once your job is done (developed) you do not always need the old versions to revert back to.

Is this the way others see this?

I create baselines in intralink for every relevant data set. E.g. important milestones of concepts and any set of data which is sent to our customers. It allows me to easily keep track of data revisions and be able to retrieve specific data revisions easily.

Although I haven't done this yet, the idea is (once the project is finished) to delete all data from a project except the data revisions which are referenced in baselines.

This should keep the intralink database size managable and also the size to backup each day. It also allows me to check in my work in progress data every day without having too much data on the intralink server. The intralink data is backupped every day. I hope to be able to easily get rid of old revisions this way without the risk of accidentally deleting relevant data.

Hope this theory will work
smiley1.gif
. Just to be sure I will test this with some test parts before ruining the intralink server data :)

Maybe someone else knows a good way to safely and easily get rid of old data in intralink?

About version/revision, this is how it is to me:

Every time you save in your workspace a new numbered file is written to you workspace, which most likely is on your local HD. These are eg. test.prt.1, test.prt.2 and so on. This could be considered a part version.

Every time you check in into intralink a new version of the file is saved into the database. Intralink does almost the same as the workspace, it 'counts' the file every check-in.

Then there is a revision (parameter) I set in the part every time a version is to be released (for production).

Update about purging: I tested the deleting of old versions in Intralink an I can delete all versions of a part which are NOT in a baseline. This is exactly how I want it to work, so that's very good
smiley32.gif

Unfortunately I must select every single version separately and can't delete all versions not in a baseline in one single purge step. At least I haven't found out yet if that is possible ...
smiley5.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back