Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

PTC Subscriptions

mgnt8

Anybody get this email from PTC: "Only Pay For The Software You Need, with PTC Subscription..."

Unless I'm missing something, this doesn't look more flexible but less. Before you would pay for the package then add individual modules. Now everything looks like it's packaged in one of four packages.
And if you still pay yearly, this isn't going to compete with software on demand like Onshape.

Maybe someone can explain this further. I must be missing something. PTC can't think it's customers are this stupid that they would pay more for fewer choices just because of some new buzzwords.

I was led to believe by our VAR that individual extensions would be available on a month by month basis. So if, for example, I need ISDX for a 2-3 month project, I could add an ISDX extension license for that time. That's a fantastic benefit, and frankly a surprising move for PTC.

That article implies that you can only lease a full seat with 4 sets of pre-packaged extensions and only for a full year minimum. This isn't that great and, frankly, sounds more like the PTC I know.

Last edited:
Would be cool if one could mix and match a licensees as necessary.

PTC was more trying to be innovative in the way they offer their licensing. For example, one organization Design engine works with sold a project that uses Creo and they had to go out and purchase licences knowing the project would only last at best short of one year. This Subscription/ lease pricing structure seams suited best to their needs esp if they don't get more projects. Now if all goes well that organization will sell more Creo work and they can decide to purchase more seats or pay existing maintenance as necessary. Options in general are nice for PTC user base. Unless that is the only way they intend on offering licenses 'sold is thru a subscription'. It's all attitude anyways or your perspective.

Perspective and attitude is really an interesting topic for me. Allow me to elaborate. If you read the fine print of your licencing agreement you don't really own software. It is in effect a lease. One can purchase creo core for 5k and pay a 25% maintenance fee each year. Your perspective is that you own the software.... or so do you lease it and purchase it back each four years.

The same analogy can be made to owning land. You pay a property tax at some percentage paying for schools and municipalities or are you leasing the land from the federal government by paying your taxes. Our American perspective is that we own the land and pay taxes on it. In mexico you don't own land you pay 12 percent each year to the government. Each is the same.

Who am I though. I think our Creo software should cost more so we as consultants can demand more money. Now that is a different topic.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back