Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Projected Area Analysis

JDuvall

Has anyone had problems in using the projected area tool in WF 3.0?

A simple test of a 12x12x12 in cube yeilds a projected area of 144.184...

I've checked config options, accuracy, and dimmensions...

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance

Projected area? Is there such a thing?

If you're projecting a bounday curve onto another surface then the area contained by that curve could well be and probably is different.

Phil

I checked our settings under setup. By default it is set to nominal.

ProE refers to this function as projected area, more commonly understood as "presented area." The intention is to use this function on complicated shapes whenfrom orthogonal views to develop their presented areas from different aspects.

jduvall,

I tried a box of 12 x 12 x 12. it gave me an area of 144 per surface, which is theoretically correct.

Is it possible for you to post the part here in the forum and mention the plane of projection?

Has anyone figured out already what has caussed the diffirance. I'm bumping into the same "problem" a 300x300( mm) by hand gives 90000mm2 proe gives me 90115.1 mm2??

Are both the projections being made against a planar surface as well as being projected perpendicular (normal) to these surfaces? If they are, then you should log a call into PTC's help desk because the results you're getting are incorrect.

@ patrick,

this command is part of the measure "tool"
You select AREA as Type
under definition you choose Whole body as Entity and ie youre draft plane as Projection direction.
Press compute and you will see the answer.

The reason for the value to be not correct as I found and Jduval also noticed lies in the fact that Pro/e keeps a margin of max 0.15% (found this somewhere in the help .

In my case it always give a area larger than expected. but for calculation closing force for injection moulding, I'm on the safe side!

Good luck

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back