Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

ProE WF4 won’t start

the-rpd

Hi,

I recently installed wildfire 4.0 F000 (first release).
When I try to start proe, I don't get a splash screen and the main screen never comes.

When I open the task manager and view the processes loading, I see Xtop.exe loading and after a while it disappears again.
When I do this the first time the OS is loaded, it loads 70MB into the memory and then stops, every following try it won't come further then 35MB.

I've tried installing it on a other system and there it works fine.
When launching windows in safe mode proe starts without any problem on my machine.

Also I've compared the processes running on both machines. Some are different ones cause of one being a notebook but there are no strange processes that I can find.

Can anyone tell me what's going wrong here?

Call ptc, provide license details (including your location!) and your problem will be solved immediately.

I hope you understand and find the right solution.

Israr

I found the solution HERE

This is a quote from the link:

"I had the same problem and was on the phone with PTC for quite some time. The <b style="color: black; : rgb(255, 153, 153);">splash[/b] screen would <b style="color: black; : rgb(153, 255, 153);">start[/b] and <b style="color: black; : rgb(160, 255, 255);">xtop[/b].exe
would load then just disappear without error messages. The problem with
my setup was my graphics card in my laptop - a Mobility Radeon 7500C.
What the support person told me to do was to create a config.pro file
in my startup directory. You open notepad and type in "graphics
win32_gdi" without the quotes. Then save it as "config.pro". If the
graphics card is not compatible with Pro/E, then this should change the
setting to allow it to <b style="color: black; : rgb(153, 255, 153);">start[/b] up"

So maby ptc needs to add a simple error message to push us in the right direction.

Btw, I have a ATI X1400 mobile graphics card.

Another possible reason is memory usage.

On some of our Dell Workstations with 4GBytes of RAM and the /3GB switch enabled there was too little memory left for Windows to run ProE with 1920x1600 pixels resolution.

The solution was to use 16bit Color(instead of 32-bit). This reduces the memory requirement for the display to 50% and normally makes no harm at all for the users.

Anders

Tried some other graphics settings.
Only win32_gdi works.

When setting all opengl config options of the graphics card driver to default, the proe opengl settings works! This is much faster then gdi! I think this is because with gdi all graphics are rendered by the CPU.

As for the memory usage.
I have 2GB installed and 200 is used by other processes then proe.
Screen res is 1280x800 so that won't be a problem.
But for the ones who do have these problems while having the right config for the graphics, they can always try your solution.
Maby also graphics memory takes a part in this.

Hi all,

I'm a little further then The_rpd.My wildfire starts perfect,but when i click new=>part(or something else) pro e crashes to desktop.

Anyone who had this too?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back