Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

[ProE 5] Prestress static analysis w/ non-linear materials

hartmaab

Hi all,

First post here, so please excuse me if this isn't the right sub-forum or formatted correctly. I'm on ProE 5 Mechanica, not Creo specifically.

I'm working on an analysis of a small plastic feature that bends outward under load, then hits a stop, and the load continues to increase. If I just apply the full load, the feature bends beyond where it should be able to normally because the effect of the stop is not included. I don't actually care about contact forces/stresses, so I thought maybe I could break the problem into steps and solve one-after-another.

This seems like what Mechanica calls a Prestress Static analysis. The idea is that some stiffening happens to the model from some initial state, and then you apply your loads. Seems fine to me, so I thought to apply a displacement as the initial state, to put the feature in the spot where it stops. That analysis went fine, results look reasonable, etc.

Now, the tricky part. How do I add the pressure load that's going to continue stressing the feature after it hits the stop? The whole point of the process is to see if the material will fail because of the stresses, so I want to use the non-linear material I have already defined for the model. It seems, though, that I can only use linear analysis in a Prestress analysis. Is that true?

Also, I can't seem to get something to run for the second step. I applied displacements on the first step, and when I create a New Prestress Static analysis, I can't add the Loadset with the pressure load because it wasn't part of the previous analysis. How can I use a load in the second part, but ignore it in the first step?

Overall, is there some tutorial or guide for Prestress Static analyses on Proe 5 Mechanica? I can't find anything after a day's worth of googling.

Any help or guidance at all will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam Hartman

Mechanical Engineer
Flextronics Medical

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back