Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

ProE 2000i run on Windows 7?

denny_graham

Has anyone attempted to run ProE 2000i on Windows OS7 ... and been successful? If so, are any tricks required? And if so, what are they? I badly need to upgrade my computer, but I want to continue to use ProE 2000i and to have access to hundreds of drawings?

Words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Denny_Graham

I suspect there are precious few folks who are still running 2000i, period. That's 11 years old. It was designed with Windows NT or maybe Windows 2000 in mind. With Win7s compatibility mode, you might be OK, but I wouldn't count on it.

Are your using Pro/E for personal use? If so, the last time I looked (admitedly a long time ago), the student edition of Pro/E would open the commercial files, but not the other way around. So if it's just for you, you could buy the student edition and move up to WF5 for less than $500, I think.

Doug, I'm sure you're right about few folks running 2000i.

I'm retired, and I have used2000i for the past ten years for personal use. I appreciate you suggestion that I upgrade to WF5, butIonly use2000i a few times a year, mostly for designing stuff for my hobby greenhouse, and I don't want to face the learning-curve associated with new software. Plus I tend to be frugal.

When I upgraded from Windows 98 to XP, I had to install a fix of some sort. But likeyou imply, it not likely that there will be a work-around for Windows OS7.

Probably the best bet for me is to install XP on the new computer.

Thanks for your input

Denny

If you haven't ordered your new computer yet, you might check Dell's outlet. They might still have some refurb'd or discontinued PCs there still with Windows XP instead. One concern with downgrading from Win7 to XP would be the availability of XP drivers for the video card, sound card, etc.

Also, check out Grumman Creations. They sell Pro/E workstations with a free XP downgrade option.

Yes, I've been looking at the refurbs ...offered by Tiger Direct; they come with XP. Some of them are pretty hot @ 3.4 Ghz, 2 GB of memory, and a lot more HD capacity than I will ever use. And the price, at less than $300, is definitely right.

Thanks for your input.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back