Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Problems with stl-file

ogama

Hej Guys,
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
I have this stl-file, which I can not see fully. It only shows some of the triangles it is build of (as shown in the following pic.). When I rotate the part, I can see other triangles that I couldn

Hi,

What accuracy (chord height, ...) was used to create the STL-file and what is the accuracy you're using in Pro/E. What units are you using ?

You could try the following.

Create a new part, make sure the units are set to mm. Then change the accuracy to absolute and 0.001 mm. You can do this by the menu sequence Edit -> Setup -> Accuracy -> Absolute. If you don't see the option Absolute it means this is not enabled within your config.pro. In that case add the following line to your config.pro : enable_absolute_accuracy yes
Now try again. To import the STL file don't use File -> Open, but when you have created an empty part with an absolute accuracy of 0.001 mm use Insert -> Shared Data -> From File.

If this doesn't solve your problem, it can mean that the STL file contains too much triangles for Pro/E to handle. What you can do then to try visualize it is to do a rendering of the part. You can do this by View -> Model Setup -> Render control and press the 'thea can'.

I hope this might be of any help.

Best regards,

John Bijnens

<DIV>Hi John,</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I thought you had the solution, but unfortunately it didn't help.</DIV>
<DIV>The stl file is made with approximately 120000 triangles, butI don't know whatProE is capable to read/handle. Do you know that?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Regarding the render, I just get the rendered triangles. :-(</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It should be something with the normals of the triangles that points indifferent ways or something!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I think Istill need help.</DIV>

If your elements(triangles) have inverted normals you will not see them (their invisible or black from the back). I had this problem with a file a couple of years ago and was able to invert the incorrect normals by selecting one correct triangle but cannot remember how. I'll try to find information on this.

You should be able to see all of the triangle with the same polarity at the same time.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back