Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Problem with sweep

mickijaggeroo

Hi all, my first post here.

I have a csys, and I have offseted a number of points from this. Then I made a curve, through the points, no problem so far. But then I try and make a swept circular surface using the curve as an trajectory, but it proe fails to recognize the curve, and won

The trajectory curve for a sweep has to be planar. Try using the variable section sweep.
Edited by: kdem

Yes, but a variable section sweep uses multiple trajectories, if memory serves me right.
The sweep function has no problem using a curve made of two sketched curves that are projected on a DTM-plane. But I can

A variable section sweep doesn't have to have multiple trajectories. But is the curve planar? From what you are describing it sounds like it'snot.

As Kdem sais,. try focusing on the VSS instead. Its more powerful (and you get a preview) Almost everything you can do with a sweep , you can do with VSS . The only thing missing is the fill command "add inn faces" . Btw, if you want to use the "sweep command" instead of VSS,the sweep curve actually doesnt have to be planar thoo...

View attachment 4935

If you still got problems with your part, upload a zipfile here...

//Tobias
Edited by: tobbo

A VSS allows additional trajectoryies to control the varying section but does not require more than one to create a simple sweep. It's a little easier to use than the old sweep: I bring my students through a simple sweep tutorial and have them do an exercise, then introduce them to VSS for later modeling problems.

They always ask why we did it the first way...
smiley2.gif

I guess I probably should havewritten based on the way they are creating the curve it needs to be planar. A free curve through 2 or 3 points will create a planar curve. Adding a normal or tangent condition to the end points tothe curve can cause it to become invalid for selection.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back