Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/Mechanica AutoGen

fabiogeraci

Hello everybody,

I am new at Pro/Mechanica, and i am performing lot of FEA for the company i am working at the moment, in the past i have used Abaqus andPatran/nastran.

Is any way that I can control the dimension of the elements in autogen? how do i fix the shape of the elements that i want to use?

I am using Pro/E wildfire 2 for modelling, and pro/mechanica for FEA.

Thanks

Not having used Patran..etc I'm not positive but with linked Mechanica I don't think AutoGEM gives you the level of control you want.

Here is what you can do - AutoGEM/Settings/Setting Tab, here you can define the element types you want it to use globally (Quad, Tri for shell, Brick Wedge, Tetra for Solids). But this is a global setting.

I don't think you can control the actualdimensions of the elements but withinAutoGEM/Setting/Limits Tab you can widen/narrow the max allowable angles, widening the range reduces the element count and vice versa.

The other thing you can do if you want a finer mesh only in a particular area is to use datum curves to force AutoGEM to create a finer mesh in an appropriate area. You have to select the option AutoGEM/Use Datum Curves.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply.

tried those option already, but the mesh is still not up to the standars that i was used with the other FEA software.

If i could import the part in, let say, patran and mesh it with patran,
would i be able to import it back to mechanica. I have tried to export
part to abaqus and they come up pretty bad.

Thanks

If you are using an external solverthen use Pro/Mesh. You can control element density, shape, etc. You will do all your pre-processing in Pro then export the input deck for your solver,and read it in the FEA software of your choice for solving and post-processing.

Note: in 2001 Pro/Mesh doesn't work well with assemblies, but for single parts analysisit has a fair performance.
Edited by: lbotez

You can always put points on your geometry to ensure that elements will go through those areas. Putting a lot of points around a certian aera will give you a finer mesh there. Be careful though. Unless you select FEM mode, Pro/Mechanica is not an FEA solver. It uses GEA which works well with larger elements.

lbotez said:
If you are using an external solverthen use
Pro/Mesh. You can control element density, shape, etc. You will do all
your pre-processing in Pro then export the input deck for your
solver,and read it in the FEA software of your choice for solving
and post-processing.

Note: in 2001 Pro/Mesh doesn't work well with assemblies, but for single parts analysisit has a fair performance.

Is Pro/Mesh included in any of the pro eng package or it is a different package, if so can you give me a link?

Thanks

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back