Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

pro/m vs catia structure

Xcad,

I have very little experience with CATIA structure only when I took the class. However I think the differentiated factor is not the FEA software but the pre and post processing capabilities of each. If you main CAD analysis software is CATIA I will say stick with CATIA Structure since you will not have to transfer models back and forth. As far of functionality both of them have same type of analyzes capabilities with the only difference that CATIA uses a H-element formulation and MECHANICA uses a P-element formulation.

Other choice that you may consider is ABAQUS for CATIA. ABAQUS will allow you to do the same analysis that MECHANICA and CATIA STRUCTURE but it will also include the non linear analysis capabilities of ABAQUS which is probably one of the best in the industry. I don't know the price difference between them but remember buying a new FEA package usually means to commit to use it for few years. Therefore, before buying do some bench marking and ask for evaluation copy. Some times they may let youattend one of their introduction FEA classes for free. Good luck!

http://www.hks.com/reference/epaper/ABQ-CATV5-v12-0408.pdf

Luis
Edited by: Luis Aguirre

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back