Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/Intralink 3.3 to ??? Confused!

mdristy

I am currently using Intralink 3.3. I am generally happy with it but would like to upgrade to PTC's latest Pro/E file manager to keep up, especially since 3.x may not be supported much longer.

Where do I go from here? Pro/Intalink 9.1? Windchill PDMLink 9.1? Windchill ProductLink 9.1? Windchill 9.1? Windchill Foundation and PDM 8.0?

What is the difference between these? PTC has managed to make it very confusing...

What is PTC's platform support for Intralink 9.1? (Can't find it on their website...)

Thanks.

My recommendation would be to go for Windchill PDM Link 9.0.

Version 9.1 is new so let someone else iron out the bugs in that version. We went from Intralink 3.4 to PDM Link 8 but in hindsight I wish I had waited for v9 to come along. Converting from 8 to 9 is not striaght forward

mdristy<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Unless you have very serious reasons to switch, don't do it.

Upgrade to Ilink 3.4 instead, which is little more stable than 3.3. I had to switch to Ilink8.0 and I had very bad experience.

What you should expect: Check hardware requirements - you will need to invest 5 to 8 K into new servers and they really mean it. There is no direct tool to transfer files - I had to hire somebody to do it. (20K) Performance - 3-10 times slower if all of your users are within same network. Functionality: Completely different interface and lot's of important functions are missing. There are lots of topics on MCAD about Intralink8.0 and its family. This is not my only opinion.

ograchev said:
Unless you have very serious reasons to switch, don't do it.<O:p></O:p>

That seems to be the consensus on this forum but, as mdristy stated, 3.x won't be supported for much longer.

We're using 3.4 and have looked into both Intralink 8/9 and Windchill. The Intralink upgrade was technically included in our maintenance contract but wasn't a straightforward upgrade - if I remember correctly, it was going to cost a lot for servers, data transfer, etc. A Windchill upgrade was going to be very expensive with not a lot of benefit for our company.

How do I start using Pro/Intralink 9.1?

We are a small research facility and want to start using Pro/Intralink 9.1. Where to load? How to set up?

Thanks,

Victor Yun

We're in the same boat as some of you. We are using Pro/I 3.4 with WF 3. And we have no immediate plans to leave Pro/I 3.4. We know it'll have to happen some day, but just not for a while. In fact, we are thinking of upgrading from 3.4 Build M020 to the a newer build so that we can go to WF 4.

It sounds to me like a lot of people are sticking with 3.x. I wouldn't be surprised if PTC extends support on it again...

I have a quick question to throw into this discussion.

Our company has a similar setup to bobmann (Ilink.3.4 & WF3), but if you look at the platform support on PTC's site. Ilink Fileserver & Dataserver is not supported for operating system newer than Windows 2000 (we have a small setup, so our "server" machine is really a tweaked out desktop). All our other machines are XP

Given that we wanted to avoid the headaches of hearing PTC maintenance say "that platform is not supported" we have been maintaining a different operating system. It was a bit of a headache because we had to search for drivers for some of the other applications on that machine.

In any case, I am wondering if any of you have Ilink 3.4 running on an XP system, and if you have had any issues with it.

To get back to the original topic of this forum, we have been looking at PDMlink 9.1, but as stated earlier we are waiting to see what successes other have had first before we take the plunge.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back