Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/Engineer brand no more? Creo?

pro_eek

What? I've obviously been out of the loop..
PTC must have a lot of faith in their new brand Creo, to ditch Pro/Engineer as a brand. Radical stuff. Motivation?
Trying to give a new image for Pro/E?
How different will creo elements/pro be from WF5?
Are they just doing the rebranding now, and then take years to introduce the new ideas?

Sounds like the new ideas are coming next summer or fall, but we'll see if they hit that date. From the demos, it looked like they were pretty far along, but they were canned demos.

Hahaha, I can see rooms full of sweat shop programmers slaving away, while their project managers develop ulcers and lose hair.
Really hope it comes good!

Keeping my pessimism aside, I think there is potential: Create a solid modelling system and a set of tools that allows the data to be accessed by people throughout the business and development process with the tools that are right for them.

I work with some very capable engineers, and decision makers who need someone else to just to open a design up to review. Why can't a CAD model be like a text file, webpage or image? The knowledge is in the CAD data, but it is currently too difficult for most people to get at it and use. If PTC push open aspect they mentioned, I think it will do a lot of good. The different modules also need to be cheap enough to really become useful by everyone.

I reserve judgement on the direct/parametric side integration, but the direct modelling tools for when there is no other option can't be a bad thing.

Looking at PTCs annual report, their marketing spend is in-line with there competitors, and its bit of a sad fact for engineers, but the way to a profitable company tends to be to throw more money at marketing than R & D. Its can be painful to think what proportion of the price I pay for something went into persuading me to buy it. That said, I don't think the orange pyjamas will have done much to convince anyone.

Sam

I don't know of anyone outside of any Engineeering Department that has the slightest interest or desire to do anything more than look at CAD data (read-only), except perhaps to mark up something.The same is trueof anyonein the management ofany Engineering Department. The people whoactually use MCAD tools want a powerful solid modeling system that's easy to learn anduse: they have little interest in 2D tools, and absolutely no desire to translate stuff back and forth between multiple CAD packages. I can't imagine industrial or commercial designers doing their work using MCAD tools: they are muchtoo free-form for the constraints that these tools require.

Our ID'ers use 3D CAD all the time, both SW and Pro/E. They don't typically start there, but they like to get into 3D pretty quickly so the concept is more grounded in reality. Many ID folks don't like to admit it, but sketches can and do lie. I'm thinking that they would prefer the direct modeling tools of Creo elements/direct, however, over SW or Creo elements/pro (Pro/E).

We also do a lot of 3D renderings and being able to use the same data set rather than a dumb IGES or STEP import would be of value. The fact that PTC has partnered with Keyshot is a good sign that the rendering package may finally be of value on it's own. Up until now, it was only of value if you wanted to do renderings inside Pro/E on Pro/E models.

Has anybody understood the renaming of Pro/E Wildfire 5.0 to Creo Elements/Pro?

I can't really understand why they are so eager to change name on the present product that they will release 'Update' releases which will come in between normal maintenance releases.
PTC Product Calendar does not list information as extract from Creo website below.

<a name="maint_rebrand">In which specific maintenance releases will the rebranding begin to occur?</a>

Rebranding in the product will begin with the following maintenance
releases which are expected to be available in November 2010:
<ul>[*]Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 M065[*]Creo Elements/View 9.1 M061[*]Creo Elements/Direct 17.0 M025[/list]

<a name="discontinue">Are Pro/ENGINEER, CoCreate and ProductView products being discontinued?</a>

The current products, Pro/ENGINEER, CoCreate and ProductView, are
not being discontinued. These products are being renamed. Capabilities
from these products are being further developed and will continue to
live on as elements in future Creo releases.

Edited by: magnusod

Dr Gallup, Whats that slide all about? Whats the problem with parametric modeling? I have 20 engineers here who have it mastered. We have PRO/E jumping thru hoops with dozens ofparametric configurable products. Why is it that the people that are smart enough to figure stuff out are punished by software companies that have to dumb things down for everyone else?
smiley11.gif

Edited by: FishNut

FishNut said:
Dr Gallup, Whats that slide all about? Whats the problem with parametric modeling? I have 20 engineers here who have it mastered. We have PRO/E jumping thru hoops with dozens ofparametric configurable products. Why is it that the people that are smart enough to figure stuff out are punished by software companies that have to dumb things down for everyone else?
smiley11.gif
Appeal to a larger audience. Larger audience, more users. More users, more money.

I'm a fan of better usability, but I'm not a fan of putting mittens on a surgeon so he can't hurt himself. It makes him less-able to do his job well.

FishNut said:
Dr Gallup, Whats that slide all about? Whats the
problem with parametric modeling? I have 20 engineers here who have it
mastered. We have PRO/E jumping thru hoops with dozens ofparametric
configurable products. Why is it that the people that are smart enough
to figure stuff out are punished by software companies that have to
dumb things down for everyone else?
smiley11.gif

There is no problem. In fact, in the presentation they acknowledged that parametric modeling is more powerful than the direct modeling approach of CoCreate, Google Sketchup and others. (What's missing from that screenshot is that underneath that 'Hard to Use' box the top row is described as 'Easy' and the bottom row as 'Powerful'.) It is harder to master and harder to use, and in many cases overkill for what needs to be done with the model.

What Creo seeks to address is the fact that the 3D data now is locked into a format that is tied to a sophisticated and powerful but challenging software tool - Pro/E - or an easy to use but less powerful tool like CoCreate. Creo promises a data format that will allow direct editing of the geometry without destroying the parametric model underneath. In fact, the direct edits show up as features in the tree when opened up in the parametric modeler.

How well will this really work? That remains to be seen, but the vision of a single data source and multiple means of using and manipulating it is quite appealing.

But direct edits showing up as additional features at the bottom of the tree, negate a fundamental best practice in parametric modeling. So how will it fit in?

I'm not a big fan of parametric modeling to be totally honest, even though I use it all day long. Most especially assembly creation, it's just hard to make edits to assemblies (especially ones you couldn't have foreseen) in a fast and intuitive fashion.

What they showed was a MS Office like 'track changes' scenario where you'd open a file that had been directly edited and the changes would be highlighted and you could accept or reject each one. The accepted ones were turned into features of some kind, which I would hope you could edit or redefine.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back