Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/E to Inventor

ankarl

Hi all,
what is the easiest way to go from Pro/E to inventor .ipt format?

I have a customer that cant open our step files

Is there any trial versions or something that I can try quickly?

regards
/Anders

Inventor has trouble opening Step files, maybe you have to add an "e" to the dot extension ex. outputed as .stp make it .step like how SolidQuirks does it.

What error is he getting if any, or just try iges

Thx, I'll pass that suggestion over to see if it works.

I've had other problems with step for customers running Solid Edge as well.

After upgrading to the latest Solid Edge version recently they were unable to open Step files from Pro/E, seemed to be depending of file size.
A 50Mb file wouldnt open until we were able to reduce it to 15Mb. Had to put down a lot of time to reach that size and the model did not look as the real product any more....

Nah, forget IGES. Adsk Inventor has more problems with them than with STEP, as a rule. ACIS might be suggested, but I can't say how fluent PTC is in the language, haven't tried it, it's not a good assembly protocol.

For data set size related problems all I can suggest is breaking things up into functional groups, sub assys, etc. Make sure all you are exporting is the solid geometry, too.

If they are having problems with geometry going goofy, set to an abs tol of .001", .01 mm, etc. and try it.

.... another thought re ACIS: Don't know what version Pro/E writes out. Inventor can only read thru v7.

Edited by: jeff4136

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back