Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro-e to cnc machine

tarunkp

Hello all,
we have recently acquired a cnc turning center (Dynapath Delta cnc- 1993 make).
it has a port in back (like an HDMI port but bigger). i understand that pro-e has the capability to write the cam program for machining in it. i do not know if i have that already installed or have to get a license for it.

is there a way i can connect a computer with pro-e on it to the slot and use it to machine the parts rather than using the G and M codes of the cnc machine.

thanks,
tarun

want to clarify my ambiguous sounding post earlier. i think i am looking for a post processor for my machine (Dyna path delta CNC 20). which post processor would go with this machine?

also the port is RS232 on the machine. what kind of cable would i need to connect my laptop to the machine for feeding the data?

Hi Tarun,
Yes you will need a post processor for your machine. If you already have Pro-N/C and if you're paying the maintenance support go to there website and search for post processors. They have many to start with.
The cable is an RS232 cable. I would look at your manual. If you don't have one, send me an email at [email protected]. We have a Dyna-Path lathe and manuals, I will look to see if the cable construction diagram is in the manual.
You can also google the internet, go to a machine trade mag and search their libraries, they have probably wrote an article at sometime about this.
The 9-pin connector on the lap top will need to go to the 25-pin connector on the machine. The cable should be a 4-pair twisted wire with a foil shield wrap and a drain wire(braided wire) running through the cable between the sheild wrap and protective outside covering.The 25-pin connector usually goes like this:
Pin 1 - "Drain" wire. Soldered to 9-pin connector side, not soldered to CNC connector side. Better to lose a lap top than a CNC board to an electrical spike.
Pin 2(Out) to 3(in) - Data transmission from lap top to CNC or vice versa.
Pin 3(In) to 2(Out) - Data transmission from CNC to lap top or vice versa.
Pin 4 and 5 - Hardware/software handshaking. Request TO Send(RTS) and Clear To Send(CTS) signals. This helps control the flow of data so the computers have time to store/process incoming stream and not lose data.
Pin 7 to 7 - Ground.
Pin 6,8,20 - On 25-pin connector side, jumper all three together. Works for Fanuc, may not for Dyna-Path. No jumper on the 9-pin side(lap top).
The pin numbers on the connectors may need to be reversed, I'm going by memory here tonight.

Jay Crook

Hello Jay,
thank you for your reply. We do not have PTC maintenance support so i do not have access to the PTC files. Reading the help files, i found that pro-m outputs files using either "gpost" or "fil" toolkit. "gpost" is the toolkit offered by Austin NC company. They say that gpost can be configured for a variety of machines. Unfortunately, the already existing ones in pro-m do not include "Dynapath delta 20M" controller.

can i configure the gpost toolkit myself to make the dynapath delta 20m post or will i need it to get it from somewhere?

are there any open source post processors that can convert for delta 20M controller?

would appreciate any help in this regard.

Tarun,
The Gpost toolkit can create a basic post processor for your machine. It may take some trial and error to get what you need. When you starting saying "I want" then you will need to start programming the "fil file" to output exactly what you "want".
This will be frustrating, unless you have a good understanding of what the programming language is trying to accomplish. If you have any budget money, get a basic post written for you, then you can make a copy and change the code to output the "I wants".
Gpost toolkit is an interactive software package that helps the end user develop a basic post processor by stepping through the setup of your machine. It will ask you to select the basic axis configuration and then you can change the standard settings to get the output you want - I'm being redundant here, sorry.
We have a post-processor for a delta style control. I tried getting it to output code but it is failing. I will have to see if I can send it to you, we paid big dollars for it.
I haven't forgotten about the cable schematic, haven't gotten to manual yet.

Jay.

i am trying to learn the language and model some sample programs manually (which run on machine) and then compare them to the ones i will generate from pro/nc.

can you guide me to the point where i can find the controller post processors on PTC website?

thank you

Hi Tarun,
I checked the PTC website for Dyna-Path latheposts, there are none. If you go to the "Need A.G.E. 3 post" posting earlier in the forum, there's a link to ptc's website. You will need to create a login and password, but if you don't pay for maintenance support you may not be able to get in.
The second question you may want to answer is if you want the conversational style output or the EIA style(G&M code) output. The G&M style would only require adding the prefix (E) at the beginning of each line right after the sequence number.
Good idea creating some example programs to help guide your post processor construction.

Jay.

i have a Hurco machine (3 axes CNC) with the dynapath delta 20m controller. i have a basic account but i cannot seem to access the post page.

i am including a sample program which actually runs on the machine(it is a simple milling program). I think it is in EIA format (G&M) which the pro/nc post (the gpost) produces from the CL file. So, i might need to tweak the general output from the gpost for the dynapath 20m controller.

Could you suggest as to where i can get some good tutorials for pro-m ?
thanks for your help
Tarun

2011-02-10_110706_sample.zip

Hello all,
we have recently acquired a cnc turning center (Dynapath Delta cnc- 1993 make).
it
has a port in back (like an HDMI port but bigger). i understand that
pro-e has the capability to write the cam program for machining in it. i
do not know if i have that already installed or have to get a license
for it.

is there a way i can connect a computer with pro-e on it
to the slot and use it to machine the parts rather than using the G and M
codes of the cnc machine.

want to clarify my ambiguous sounding post earlier. i think i am looking
for a post processor for my machine (Dyna path delta CNC 20). which
post processor would go with this machine?

also the port is RS232 on the machine. what kind of cable would i need to connect my laptop to the machine for feeding the data?
please e-mail me [email protected]

thanks,

Hello out there.
I have ProNC, and I bought a 3 axis machine I am retrofitting (centroid-Ajax) and plan to make a post for my machine and then make some fun stuff (gun parts and automotive parts, etc), if this seems to be the hobby for me I am going to retrofit my lathe next. So far i have a few friends lined up who want to help out once I am running and people who want cheap services like machining.

I have a few questions relating to Pro NC and FIL.
With the research I have done seems like PTC used Austin NC to make ProNC?
Austin has books for sale (reluctant to sell me them unless I take the class I can't afford)
Can anyone recommend to me books on the FIL language?
Also can anyone tell me if I understand how this works.
Tool paths are made using the tool sets in ProNC
Seems pro makes CL files (tool paths)
The post takes the CL file and converts it to G code, that can be loaded and run on the machine, like wise the file can be drip fed to the machine via RS232 using drip feeding software. (for programs larger than the control ram)
The Post is written in FIL or is an extra customization file???
G post is an interface that writes the FIL/post to get you started?
I have been reading the help files off and on while I refit my super max knee mill.

I have high hopes to even simulate the machine with fixtures.
I run WF 4 and soon 5 but am off maintenance, for now. I am waiting to see what Creo can offer before spending another dime. (That and I am almost out of money I made on a consulting job, wife thinks I'll never see the money again)

Chris

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back