Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

PRO/E Commercial Version File Converter

absarahmed

does any body know howto convert Pro/Engineering Models made on Commercial version converted in to Pro/Engineering Educational Version format ...
I downloaded a tutorial pack from ptc website and tried openening it from PRO/Engineer 2001 Educational Version but it says that it is designed on a commercial version and can not be open in Educational Version ..

Help me out ..

If anybody knows any solution than it would be a favour if he mails me ...

my email add is : [email protected], [email protected]

Thanks in advance ..

absarahmed,

I am not sue that there exists sucha conversion. You really need a commercial copy to make a file that can be imported which wipes out the feature data. Perhaps your educational version has files of a similar type available at your school? if this is your personal machine then there are sites with commercial and educational file versions...

cheers,

M

There is an application available as a floating module from PTC to educational institutions. We have a version we use for our students who work with industrial partners for their design projects but I am not sure how you can get the module or what it costs but: you'll want to contact the PTC educational folks.

Students are given files from industrial partners, theyanalyze and make changes to improve the design or meet some need requested or modify the design in line with their own design concept as part of their projects and then we convert the files back to industry for the original partner.

We've had good success and this has helped to provide our students with "real-life" parts to work with and gives them some understanding of what it takes to work with other's parts and designs: the models are not always what they seems. It's been fun for me to actually show all of the unnecessary "anti-features" created when the parts are man-handledby someone outside the team with limited understanding of what the initial design concept was.

Traditionally students work on their own projects in very small groups and share the files amongst themselves with little or no file management. It's a whole new process when you have to work through PDM or PLM...

Hi Absarahmed,

What you will need is a module called "Education Commercial Convert" to be added into your Pro Engineer license. You can contact your local Pro Engineer Representative for this. When having this module, you can read and modify both commercial and educational files.

Should you have further questions, please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back