Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/E and Quad Processor

boydt

I had this question sent to me... Any ideas?

I have a computer that utilizes a Quad processor 3.00 GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM, ATA WDC WD1600AAJS-7 SCSI disk drive, ATI FireGL V7600 with 512 MB RAM. I also run this on a dual screen system.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
It seems that Pro/Engineer is not utilizing the processing power and Graphics capability of this machine, are there settings within the program that can be changed to use this new hardware?

Pro/E is not multithreaded, it can not take advantage of quad core. The only real advantage is that other tasks (mail, word processing) won't slow Pro/E down like on a single core machine. The software world is falling behind the hardware.

Hello,

I believe that Wildfire 4.0 is supporting quadcore.

Miguel
smiley4.gif

If Wildfire 4.0 is supporting quadcore. Doesanyone know if there are any settings you have to change to get Pro/E to see the other cores of the processor?

Thanks in advance

Hello. Sure Pro/E supports quad core, it has been running on multi processor/core Unix boxes for at least 10 years. That does not mean it takes advantage of the extra cores or processors. Perhaps it offloads a couple of background tasks but xtop, the main process, is not multi threaded and will not run any faster on multi cores until it is. There is nothing the user can set.

I recently sent in a call to PTC tech support about this because I'm planning on upgrading. They said rendering, assembly retrieval, behavioral modeling, & mechanica will use multi-threading, but other pro/e operations won't.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back