Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/E’s BOM’s Suck....

jelston

But anyhow, have yet another BOM problem. Somewhere along the way a component received a description of only blank spaces, so it is showing up as #1 on the bom. I can either leave #1 blank in my bom or go thru a kajillion parts to find it. Neither one sounds fun. What i need is a quick way to find a component with a blank description. Any ideas?

Never mind, found it. Pro/E boms still suck though.
smiley36.gif

FYI

I searched annotations and scrolled down through annotations while watching the bom. The qty number before the bom turned blue and the blank space had to be next.

How about using the search tool in the assembly (that little binocular button) like something shown below..

So you think Pro/E suck huh.. we call it here the "OPERATOR ERROR"...
smiley2.gif
jus kidding..

Well, trust me, I am no angel when it comes to dealing with not just BOM but with most other stuff in Pro/E that way it works.. but more often than not I always found a way around, most of them from here The Central..

Anywho, didn't mean to go off the topic but,you think you could have used the Search Tool though? or is it just I didn't understand the problem very well?

I did. I posted how i used it in the second posting. I used annotations in the drawing and scrolled through.

Off topic again, it chaffs me big time to see what Pro/e used to be in comparison to Solidworks and how much solidworks has improved and Pro/E seems to be stagnant. Boms for instance, SW boms are not quite awesome but pretty darn close.

Why not use the parameter asm.mbr.name to display the part name in the BOM? Then, just look for the one that has a blank description and then look at it's part name. You can also filter out anything with a description making finding the problem part will be cake.

Jim

I agree with conrat. In your BOM you can just change the parameter to easly find your part. You can change a parameter from: asm.mbr.part_number to asm.mbr.name and usually find your parts that way. Of course this depends on how your BOM parameters are set up also, but usually an easy way to find a blank row within the BOM.

Ron

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back