Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Prefixed text on basic dim

ljduke

How can I get my prefixed text to appear outside of the box of a basic dimension? For example I want to say 12X XXXX, but I want the 12X to appear outside and prefixed the basic dimension per ASME standards.

Thank you, it did work. However, I had to do a @O first to eliminate the original text. Is this correct?

The only way I know how to prefix the text of a basic dimension is to intentionally put the text seperately above the horizontal dimension or beside a vertical dimention. Any text you add to a basic dimension including spaces makes the box larger. This has always been a workaround. Changing the dimension text to @O only fakes the dimension and is not good drafting. Sometimes I leave the 2X @D inside the box. It still conveys your message.

the standard states that the number of occurences can be diplayed inside or outisde the box, ASME Y14.5-1994, illustrated in figure 3-25, spelled out in test on page 47.

Yeah, I see the example you mentioned. However, I don't see an explanation of the options for doing so anywhere. I'm not crazy about putting this text in the frame and I wish Pro-E would give you theability to dootherwise as other systems do. Thank you

you have to place it as a free note, then relate to object (the dim)- IMO- by placing in the frame you eliminate any possible confusion of the control of the dimension.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back