Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

please help with .stp !

jacquesgm

i'm hoping someone can help me with this. please pardon my ignorance. i'm actually a Maya user and need to bring these over to be rendered in Maya. i have literally spent about 1 hour (meaning...not much!) trying to use ProE wildfire 3.0 in order to get a bunch of individual parts into a single file...here's the problem:

most of the files (200-300) are named with a part number, for example: 913550_prt.stp

these files actually contain geometry, i can open them up individually, bolts, springs, pipes, etc...but there are like 50-60 parts and there is no way i can put it together again from scratch (they all come in at the origin, and i can only seem to openb them in separate files/windows)

so i'm hoping there is some master file that organizes the parts into a larger group.

there area fewer number of files(15-20)called for example: 381230110_skel_prt.stp

does anybody know what the"skel" means?? is thisa file that can somehow position other associated parts into some kind of whole?

if so, would anyone be kind enough to point me in the right direction?

these "skel" files will open, but there is no geometry....they are only about 8KB.

when i open them in a text editor, both ("skel" and regular) files say ISO-10303-21, they are all .stp files.

have these files been exported from ProE and forever lost there world space position? i've tried everything, Rhino, Polytrans, etc. but i checked the log file and it seems they were exported from ProE.

any help much appreciated!! Regards.

Hi jacquesgm,
best way for you, would be ask your step supplier to created new step file for you.
Ask him for one step file what include all components. It is only about setting option when is the step file creating.
If it's not possible,
then you have chance open it if you have any assembly files (maybe they called *_asm.stp). So, if you have the assembly files you must opening all the step files and save them on native Pro/E format and renamed them. For example if the file called "913550_prt.stp" the new native Pro/E file must be "913550.prt".
You need start do that with all parts (it's maybe all files what include "_prt" in file name) and next with all assembly files (of course if you have them).
Files with "skel" in file name must be skeleton model.
It's special file what is using in Pro/E for driving assembly (and more) but these functionalities are interrupted when assembly is exported to the step file. So, if the skeleton files be empty (no geometry) then you can ignore them.

_prt == part
_skel_prt == Skeleton part
_asm == assembly

The _asm will put it all together if Maya supports multi
file STEP exports. You may only be able to work with
the default "single_file" exports.

Look at (or, more probably; have the source party look at)
Help:

thanks for responding...I don't have the original .asm files....nor can i contact the original supplier of the file.

by some miracle i was able to regenerate the files and all the parts came together to form the object??...i was just messing around with different things and i'm not sure what i did? anybody have an idea? all the parts just started loading into the scene!

so, i have another question...

now, in the list are numerous sub assemblies....i looked everywhere but it seems i can only save the main file. BUT, i would like to just export a subassembly at a time because the file comes out to be about 700 megs when i convert it to .iges..Maya cannot load it...so i need to load it in assembly(groups of .prts) at a time.

thanks again for trying to help and may the force be with you!

hallo i dont know which topic should i post or should i create a new topic.
but since it is about step data. i think i just post it here.
i got all .stp files. and has to figure it out the whole complete assembly file .asm.
when you have found the complete assembly just open and it will convert the step files.
and all the parts from the complete .asm will also convert to proE.

ok myproblem is.
if i want to make some changes or modify the part. how should I.
on the tree it says Import-ID.
is there any tutorial for that?
or which topic should i refer to.?

Depends on what kind of modifications you want to do. If your looking to change the geometry in anyway, then forget it. As you said, the model tree has import-ID and thats it. You do not have access to features that make up that part or anything else, its just dumb data. AP203, which is .stp, is for geometry only. AP214, also .stp, is geometry with some spice for the automotive industry. AP224, not supported by any CAD software yet, has everything. It has geometry, feature information, tolerance information, dimensions, geometric tolerance information, Note information, etc... all in one file. It will also do assembles the same way. Only one problem, you can create a AP224 file but you can't read it back in. No CAD software supports it yet. GibbsCAM wrote an import for the file format but thats about it. It is still leading edge and is still waiting for support.

hallo.

so there is no solution? I mean I have received awhole complete of assembly DMU data. so from this file as i look for at the model tree the sub-assembly until the part data .prt.
then this .prt file i open it for another window.this new window at the model tree it shows the Import-ke ID.as i edit definition this thing.
the right hand side shows the import data doctor etc.
as i click the import data doctor the part transfer into surface which has alot of surfaces.

is there I can do ,so that i can change the geometry of the part. .prt.
or any tips for me

What 'changes' do you want to make?

Post, at least, a pic of what you're talking about.
It'll help overcome the limitations of incomplete verbal
descriptions and language barrier hurdles.

Tip: You can do anything with featureless geometry. You just
can't do it using the typical 'solid geometry' feature creation
functions and thought processes. Meaningful, specific answers
will require knowing what your working with and what you want
to do with it.

i am new with proE.

so.. i want to modify the diameter of the gear. how can i manage that?

1. the complete assembly
2. i opened a new window for part
3. edit definition from Import ID and then Import data doctor
4. it shows all surfaces from the file.

can you guys help me ,how can i change the diameter , grab the solid to modify whenever i want.

thank you

> i am new with proE

Also new to parametric modeling?

> grab the solid to modify whenever i want

No can do.

The simple choice is to model that from scratch as I imagine it's just
for visual rep purposes. If you want to have some fun, though ...

_ Set feature properties so no 'solid' exists (see Help).
_ Copy the surfs that make up a tooth profile.
_ Create a Moved Copy of that quilt translating to desired radius.
_ Create a Moved Copy of that rotating to next tooth position.
_ Merge the two new quilts.
_ Radial Pattern the Rotated Copy and Merge.
_ A few Revolutions and / or Extrudes to fill in a hub, Merge
everything and Solidify.

Dealing with all the details will, no doubt, be more involved but
that's the general idea of working with featureless geometry.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back