Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Perimeter value on drawing

kkja13

Hello,

I need to report the perimeter and area of a surface for an extruded aluminum part on the drawing. I have saved the values and they now showup as "sensors" in the design tree, but I can't figure out how to put them into a note on the drawing.

My ultimate goal is to have perimeter and area for the extrusion appear in a note and be parametric.

Thanks,

Hy all !

KKJA, I'll provide you a solution for SW 2007. Maybe in 2011 you can find an easier way.

Open your part.
Create 2 equations:
1) P = .....
2) A = .....
Click "File" menu and choose "Properties..."
Under "Custom" tab:
- in the "Property Name" field, write "Perimeter";
- in the "Type" field choose "Text";
- in the "Value / Text Expresion" choose "P"
Repeat (next row) for area:
- "Area"
- "Text"
- "A"
click Ok

Now, open the drawing file for this part.
From the drawings toolbar select "Annotations" then "Note"
Click away from the note (to leave the note empty) then right click the note and select "Properties".
In the Properties window, click "Propertylink" button. The "Link to Property" window will be displayed.
Select the radio button "Model in view to which the annotation is attached" or the next one "Model in view specified in sheet properties" (depending yours needs)
Click the arrow for the drop down list.
You will see a lot of properties including "Perimeter". Select THIS property.
Click "Ok"
Click "Ok"
Now, your note reflect the perimeter value.
Double click the note to enter in "Edit" mode.
Place the cursor at the beginning.
Write "Perimeter = "

Repeat the steps for the area.

Now you can return to your part and deselect the option to view annotations.

See also the attached zipped file.

Hope this is a help for you.
Good luck !

2011-08-23_193045_New_Folder.zip

Mihail,

Your method works great for simple surfaces. My surface is very complex, and I couldn't begin to write an equation for it.

I can measure the surface and perimeter and then save the measurements to a sensor in the design tree. This works great and it updates when the geometry changes, I just can't find a way to report these values on the drawing. It seems like a simple problem, but I can't fix it.

I guess that I will have to type it into the note (dumb text), but that goes against everything that is good and parametric in this world.
smiley1.gif

Jeff <><
Edited by: kkja13

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back