Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Perforations contoured to any shape help.

exconjon

Hello,

Ive been fighting with a situation that involves being able to take a "domelike" shape and basically add an outer layer to it that follows its contour and is perforated. My question would be how, if possible, to take an existing shape, use its geometry to make a flat perforated sheet form to it; almost like having a datum plane above a curved surface and projecting a sketch to that surface is the best way i can describe it.

example picture...

...basically do this but to a more complex dome.

thanks

Hi exconjon,

I had the exact same problem recently and didn't manage to have much luck solving the problem. One way you can do it is to create your perforated sheet in sheet metal and then use a dome part to create the form feature. The main problem with it is that the holes in the perforated sheet don't go consistently round the formed shape. The shapes on the side of the form will be stretched.

I'm sure there's ways round it but I haven't found them out yet.

Thank Michael,

actually its ok if they deform, the problem is i think my geometry is too complex for it to work...Im using WF4 now, but there is a UV pattern feature in WF5 that looks like it may do the trick. In the meantime i was just trying to figure out how to take a flat perforated plate or sheet and make it "mold" or form to a domelike shaper underneathe.

thanks again

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back