Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

pdf pen table

kenppy

after searching around a bit I found enough to cobble up a working pen table, it does some of what I want but fails in the main bit in that I want the dims to be in blue. I cannot figure out whether the pen numbers refer to colours or what.

!pen table for pdf control 13 april 2012<br style="color: rgb(102, 51, 255);"><br style="color: rgb(102, 51, 255);">pen 1 thickness 0.005 cm; dimmed_color, letter_color, attention_color, half_tone_color<br style="color: rgb(102, 51, 255);">pen 2 thickness 0.02 cm; drawing_color<br style="color: rgb(102, 51, 255);">pen 3 thickness 0.025 cm; edge_highlite_color, highlite_color<br style="color: rgb(102, 51, 255);">pen 4 thickness 0.02 cm;<br style="color: rgb(102, 51, 255);">pen 5 thickness 0.02 cm;<br style="color: rgb(102, 51, 255);">pen 6 thickness 0.02 cm;<br style="color: rgb(102, 51, 255);">pen 7 thickness 0.02 cm;<br style="color: rgb(102, 51, 255);">pen 8 thickness 0.02 cm;

Thanks, but I think there is a difference between between how this works for files sent to a a plotter and files to pdf.

The basic question is: can the dims in yellow on the drawing [and hence everything else in yellow] be changed to blue when printed to pdf? -- without changing the yellow to blue on the drawing.

The colors of the lines in a drawing represents one of
the eight pens in the pen table.

pen 1 = white brown and magenta
pen 2 = yellow
pen 3 = gray
pen 4 = red
pen 5 = green
pen 6 = cyan
pen 7 = gray
pen 8 = blue

You then specify in the pen table file what font, color
and thicknes you want for that line on the plot. You
can use different pen table files for different kinds of
plots and the default one is used for PDFs if the use
of pen tables is checked.

The following is a pen table (text file)I put together for some reason or other. Lines beginning with " ! " are comments. Looks like you're missing the color field. Enter "color # # #" between the pen thickness and the color name. The # represents the amount of red, green, and blue, between 0 and 1.In my example below, dimensions areassigned to pen 2, they're black; to change them to blue change the "color 0 0 0" to "color 0 0 1". The help files do provide some guidance on the subject. Also, make sure the option to use the pen table is checked when you go to make the .pdf.

! Be sure to place the file in the folowing folder:
! C:\Program Files\proeWildfire 4.0\text
! Unless the configuration option [pen_table_file] is changed, the file in the above folder will be the default.
!
! Force size and color (black) of geometry
pen 1 thickness 0.02 cm; color 0 0 0; drawing_color
!
! Force the size and color (black) of dimensions and datums (crosshairs)
pen 2 thickness 0.005 cm; color 0 0 0; letter_color,datum_color
!
! Force size and color (gray) of hidden lines
pen 3 thickness 0.01 cm; color 0.60 0.60 0.60; half_tone_color
!
! Assigning Quilt to Power wires (red)
pen 4 thickness 0.02 cm; color 0.85 0 0; quilt_color
!
! Assigning Sketch to Data wires (blue)
pen 5 thickness 0.02 cm; color 0 0 1; section_color
!
! Assigning Sheet Metal to Audio wires (green)
pen 6 thickness 0.02 cm; 0 0.8 0; attention_color

... The confusion is this, the pen table has a set of "color names" like attention_color and drawing_color, and all of the entities inPro/E's 2D and 3D environments derive their color from "system colors" (VIEW >> DISPLAY SETTINGS >> SYSTEM COLORS) and the link between color names and system colors is not clear. Doesn't really matter though since you have the power to assign the colors as you want.Any "color name" can be assigned to any of the 8 pens. Additionally, entities in a drawing can be assigned to any color by changing its style.

Attached is an excel file that might help explain the use of pen tables.

2012-04-26_100406_WF4_color_reference_chart.zip

Mike, this looks more like what I was missing and the correct syntax. I'll give it a try, it certainly looks like the answer is here.
thanks

Hello all,

I am having some difficulty with saving my drawing to PDF's. I don't believe the issue I am having has been addressed before.

I am running Pro/E WF4.0 Datecode 200 on a windows 7, 64bit machine. When I initially "SaveAs PDF" I would have similar problems to others. The text and Text boxes would have normal line weights but the views would not. They'd have a heavy line weight and the detail would be lost. BUT everything on the print would show up.

Now after making and enabling a pen table the detail in the drawing views show up the way I want them to. Unfortunately I have a side effect which I have been unable to correct. Hence, the reason I am posting. What happens is a I loose the left side border of my print. I have tried manually scaling the print to see if it was a printer issue or an export issue. It appears to be something which is lost during export, because I can manually scale it to 50% and the border never shows up. I know this seems like a minor issue but it is annoying and it leaves the print looking unprofessional.

I have tried messing with the print configuration to scale and offset but those changes don't seem to have any effect on the export. I could simply be doing something wrong so if you think this is the right approach please feel free to elaborate on certain changes and how to make sure they take effect.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

@D3syn3rMike I don't get this color coding, is there a
complete panel of colors that can be used in ProE?

Like color 0.85 0 0 red

searching for brown...

Hello,

I just wanted to circle back for anyone else who is experiencing the same
problem as I was above.The solution which worked for me was to increase
the line weight and increase the print DPI to 600.

Regards,
Mike

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back