Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pattern revolved cut-extrude

Raoul-RW

Hello there,

I am workingon a solidrevolved extrude with a ( shape around an axis.Iadded a small revolved cut-extrude at this modeland now I want to pattern it upwards to make a ( shape with several cuts.

However, I didnt manage to make it work because I want the cut following the outer shape of the model and not just straight upwards. When I activate 'Geometry Pattern' SolidWorks doesnt want to make it work and replies with the error that the selected featurescouldnt be patterned.

How to model this amount of cuts without making a complexsketch? I am convinced that it should be possible with a pattern.I think I am just missing something very simple but cannot figure it out. Thank you in advance.

Hello,

The first image shows the Sketch of the Revolved cut-extrude. The second image shows the way how I want that Revolved cut-extrude followingouter shape of the model.

I think that you need to make 4 separate cuts (at the for red levels) then use ALL this cuts in a PATTERN feature to finish your task.

Hope this is a help for you.

Good luck !

Edited by: Mihail

Raul,

I don't think the SW pattern features are capable of keeping that constant offset within a single pattern feature. Why don't you just pattern your lines within the sketch, and create all cuts with a single revolve cut? Another method (to keep it parametric) is to use surfaces... here's my stab at it:

View attachment 5916View attachment 5917View attachment 5918View attachment 5919

There are only a few parameters related to the pattern of cuts: Initial location, width, &pattern pitch. I can even change my curved surface offset easily... Gawd I love surfaces!!!

Jim Shaw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/shawengineering

I spent a lot of time in finding the answer and I see that usingthe good old surfaces are the solution. Thank you so much! :)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back