Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Part created with licensed/cracked ProE?

kobal

Is there any way to find out, if licensed or illegal (cracked) version of ProE Wildfire 2, was used to create a part, drawing ... ? (If you get a *.prt file and want to know if you will get arrested for using it
smiley19.gif
)

An odd subject for a first post. Why not take it up with your distributor?
smiley36.gif

I don't know of any program that doesn't embed some sort of serial number, ID, etc. about the generating program (and a lot of other info about your computer in some cases) in the file.

I've been a member of this site for quite some time, but ussualy only 'read no ask'.
I know ProE saves a lot of user history, used pc info and other stuff (open a .prt file with hex editor and you will see). I'am currently working only as a student, and the thing i asked for is for my personal interest only. If i go asking around, i'll probably get some wierd looks and stuff.
Just wanted to know, i won't use this info for materialistic benefits.
Please don't go tell my boss
smiley2.gif

There is no way to tell. However, if an administrator was to take a look at your Technical Support Info he/she would see for sure that you were usinga cracked license.

You're very edgy aren't you? How could anyone tell your boss when you do not say what he is called or where you work?

Phil

pjw said:
You're very edgy aren't you? How could anyone tell your boss when you do not say what he is called or where you work?

Phil

Just kiddn (that's what smiley is for)

I'm notreally sure about thisbut the only party or company that will sue or arrest you for using illegal copy of a software forcommercial purposesshould be the software developer itself, in this case PTC. For other companies that use the software, they might not really care about this as long as they can do their works unless if they're gonna be sued then they shouldn't allow it.

No one can arrest you for having (and using) a part file that was created on a non-licensed site. As a user you also have no means whatsoever to control and/or know whether this was the case or not. When you get partfiles you trust the other party. Only when you personally are using illegal software there is a "problem".

ProE keeps track of all users that modify a file, you can track the history right up to the user that created the template your file was based on. Don't know if it tracks the license information. Serial numbers in the software are pretty much useless since everyone gets copies of the same CD, only the license is unique to each site.

Alex

UGS' NX will generate an error message when a file that was edited last on a system with an illegal license and you have a legal one. They file can be repaired but only by their GTAC organization and you do have to provide them information on where you obtained the file from.

There couldn't be any illegal flag in the part file. If Pro/E knew that itself was illegal it wouldn't operate to let you make the part in the first place.

Open the suspected file and search for "Pro/" If it was created in a Licensed non cracked version you should see Pro/ENGINEER TM Version_Name (c)YYYY and most importantly Parametric Technology then the Date code the following line was in my student edition legal version for WF2

#Pro/ENGINEER TM Wildfire 2.0 (c) 2004 by Parametric Technology Corporation All Rights Reserved. F000

Hackers usually can't help not labeling their work such as the following which I know was taken from a part made in a cracked version of 2001.
#Pro/ENGINEER TM 2001 (c) 1988-2001 by "Xxxx Systems" All Rights Reserved. 2001150

Hopefully you'll find that the file s you have were not made with software from or by "Some Hacker's Systems" or you might have to keep a look out for Johny Law.

Michael

Actually the answer to the question is there a way to find out if it was created with a cracked code and the answer without a doubt is yes. I have done it and I have even converted files from ProE student versions and PT modeler to be able to work with a standard version of the software. ProE is rather good at keeping track of every user, user ID, computer, and version of the software that has touched the file. So there is a chance you can get in trouble if you are doing something you should not be doing, but they would have to hire someone like myself to actually track through the encryption of the models to figure it out (rarely happens).

The issue with legalities is that if you are selling the models to someone or the design you created for the and that is what is illegal. If you simply say I will charge you for the time you spend and you will give them for free the files so they can look at it, well that is actually legal because you not selling anything created or the use of the software that is cracked - you are simply selling your time and you are giving them things at now charge. No money is made or lost on the cracked code so no violation is done.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back