Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Parameters & Drawing Formats

prohammy

I know that there is probably a very simple answer to this (ie no), but I'll try anyway...(I have never questioned this before, which is a bit lazy I admit)

When you update the parameter fields in a part/assembly (that are used in a drawing format), is there an easy way of updating the drawing border to reflect the changes. To date I have always just added the format again (which is something of a trial where I am working at the moment).

Kev

Why do you change the format? The format should be updated automatically, if not a regenerate in model (to update those parameters used in relations) and a update sheet in drawing should reflect the parameter changes.

I only add the format again if I need a format for a different size (B, C, D, E) for imperial and (A4, A3) for metric use, and if I delete the model from the drawing.

In rest the format should update.

And I just remembered, there are some cases when some parameters used in relations are not updating properly. After I update the drawing sheet the format shows the new values, I save and close the drawing. But when I open the drawing again the parameter in formatshows the old value. So to force it I delete the relations in part, regenerate the part, put the relations back, regenerate again and the drawing shows the correct value. Don't know why this is happening but it works.

I have tried Update Sheet, but that has no effect on the drawing format> I'll take a look tomorrow to see if there are relations that need to be updated as well and try your second solution...

Thanks

Kev

If you manually typed the values when you started the drawing, I believeyou will have to do the format/replace method.

I've done that on several occasions when I forgot to setup the parameters in the model before inserting itinto the drawing.

<tg>

telecomguy said:
I believeyou will have to do the format/replace method.

Telecomguy,

I assume that should have read 'you will NOT have to', but anyway, I know that you can do this, but that doesn't really achieve very much other than input the correct info in the drawing text boxes. The part/assembly is still without its parameter info and if copied again will just keep the error going through another generation of parts/assemblies.

The 'ideal' solution (and I know I may be chasing clouds here) would be to be able to change the parameter info in the part/assembly and then update drawing without the need to delete/replace the current drawing format

Kev

Hmm, let me ask you this: say you set the model in drawing, change the format, all the parameters are updating corectly. Then if you go in part and change a parameter say description from x to y, it doesn't update in format? Because this will be strange.

the parameters will not update if they are drawing parameters. switch dims in your drawing and see if they have ":d" at the end. Because in this case they will not update.

The parameters in drawing can be changed by mistake in drawing parameters if at the begining when you add the format you don't set the corect model in drawing. Then the format doesn't find the paramters in model and it creates drawing parameters.

This could be another reason.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back