Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Parameters Cusrtomize

dschnoblen

I was wondering how would I be able to customize my parameters, add a new parameter field that is required to be filled out for all my users? Is it in the config.sup file, is this possible?

Well, there is the classic way of doing it where you use mapkeys to set up what they call start parts. Search on the PTC knowledge base under "Start Part" and there are several articles on creating a start part mapkey that can set parameters. Unfortunately with wildfire parameter interface, to modify a parameter it brings up that whole parameter modify box, and the user can pretty much do anything. I had it set up this way, but I had users frequently botch the process.

Here's another way: If the parameter to be set is designated in intralink, and if you uncheck the 'use default template' box after file, new, those parameters are shown in a parameterbox and can be modified at that point.

A more complicated, but more robust approach would be to have something set up in jlink that triggered the parameter setting. I'm not sure if it can be done in j-link because I am not sure what type of notification events (triggers) j-link offers. We do it here with toolkit, but we are fortunate enough to have the toolkit license and the know how to do it. We have a trigger on "object create, and at that point the program can take control and start prompting the user for stuff.

This is just my experience. Hopefully someone else chimes in here with some more creative ideas.

FishNut

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back