Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Orientation and Ref Dims

cityjack

Evening all,

Well after the customary search and coming up with NO "fruit", I did not know where else to post these two questions and both of these problems' symptoms do not seem to appear on a regular basis and I cannot see if it is something I am doing or do not understand the workings entirely of these two functions.

1. When orientating a prt or asm in the model view using "orient by reference" you pick two planes or surfaces or a combination of the two. Then the model snaps to that orientation. You then have the option to save the view under a name of your choice or overwrite an existing name. When I pick say front, right, left, up, or down or whatever, the ref1 or ref2 block populates with the info about the datum plane or surface I just picked. Sometimes when I am trying to orient my model, I can pick all day long on any datum or surface and the ref1 or ref 2 blocks will not populate. Its like Pro does not even pick them. i forget the actual message that is displayed and I know that would be helpful. My apologies. Why will sometimes it take what I pick and other times ignore me?

2. When creating ref dims from within the model through...setup, ref dim, create. Then pick the planes and orientation to place the ref dims. No problem creating them. Its when it comes time to delete them. The ref dims hilite but remain on screen and do not delete. Any help on either of these questions would be most helpful.

Here is the message I get while either trying to delete ref dims or pick surfaces to orient model....."Make all datum reference selection on component being placed."
Thanks

Sid
Edited by: cityjack

You can also create view orientation in the model using the same conditions/features/datums and save that orientation.

When you define a view in the drawing just select the orientation from the Model view names list and there will be no dims to deal with!

For your problem of the references not showing in the view creation, your selection filter may be set to something other than what you are trying to pick.

For orienting the model, for the first pick it has to be a
planar surface, I believe. Once you pick the first one, it
won't let you pick anything else that isn't perpendicular
to the first plane.

Cityjack,

I came across your post while looking for an answer to the same problem you encountered with orienting views.
When I didn't find an answer, I simply closed down Creo and reopened it.
Voila, problem solved. The microsoft solution comes through once again.

Hope this works for you as well.

Cheers,
Jacqui

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back