Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Offset creates bad quality surfaces

Napapiiri

Hei guys!

Following situation.
I have a nicely shaped style curve (check by curvature comb - analysis/geometry/ curvature) and make an offset of this.

The offset looks pretty bad in quality and makes even trouble later when I attach other curves to it (aestethic wise).

Any idea how to control the quality of offsets?

Thanks!
Bj

I guess you are comparing curve curvature comb with surface edge curvature comb. my understanding is that when you make surfaces from curves, edges won't have the same degree and segmentations as the curves. this happens with other cad packages as well. nothing to worry about. if you're satisfied with shaded curvature analysis or zebra stripes analysis then your surface has a good quality too.

Thanks!

I had trouble before with surface quality of surfaces that use an offset surface or curve.
Sometimes offset surface or curves get really "wobbly" and the next surface is interiting this behavior.

But in most cases I still use offest surfaces when the shaded surface looks nice.

Thanks!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back