Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

NVIDIA Quadro vs ATI FireGL

Hanns 003

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a new graphics card and have been looking at NVIDIA Quadro FX1500 or ATI FireGL V7200.

The FireGL V7200 is about twice the price of the FX1500 and is it twice as fast?

The machine will be a Intel Quad core with 2 or 4 GB ram and a SCSI HDD.

If you have any other suggestions that would be great.

thanks.

I would stick with Nvidia cards. They seem to work better with Pro/E. If you can afford the extra cost of the ATI, look at a Quadro 3450 instead.

Thanks for the suggestion about the Nvidia. Had a quick look at the Quadro 3450 and it is about 1.5x the price of the 1500. It's always hard to work out how much more performance you actually get for your money. I'll keep looking!

ATI graphics cards are notorious for crashing Pro/E. Stick with Nvidia. Even the lower end Quadros have acceptable performance with larger assemblies (>1000-2000 parts).

Phil

I have been using Quadros exclusively for over five years now, with excellent results in both SW and Pro/E. I currently have a Quadro FX 1500M in my personal mobile workstation (running SW) and a Quadro FX 4500 here at work (running Pro/E). They are like a rock, with great performance. I don't know if ATI has hardware anti-aliasing in it's cards, but nVidia has always touted this as a major advantage in it's Quadro cards, which are intended for CAD applications (not just high-end gaming cards). I think the CAD software companies also give the Quadros their highest blessings.

Yeah, the Quadrosalso make great gaming cards, but don't tell anybody I said so (esp. the IRS).

smiley2.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back