Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

No can change file

oldman

Question:

One of our customers has requested my ProE file of an assembly. What is the best type of file to send him so he roll the assembly around etc. without being able to change, modify or use the file other than viewing?

Dr_gallup

If I send an IGES file, the customer will be able to use my design. I don't want them to be able to change or use any of the information other than viewing.

FYI Great quality philosophy.

They need to be able to roll the model around for viewing. Can a 3D PDF be rotated? I'm not concerned about printing or copying. Just be able to pick dimensions and geometry.

The way we do this is to hide / suppress components & features that we don't want our customer to see (ue all of the internal detail), then create a shrinkwrap of the assembly, and finally create an IGES / STEP from the shrinkwrap.

It is a difficult way of doing the job, but it keeps our IP protected.

Create a VRML file. It can be viewed and rolled by Internet Explorer using a free VRML viewer. You can freely download by the web. No way to be modify... I think. Try.

bye,

Paolo

I agree withdr_gallup on the 3d pdf. We use adobe acrobat 3d and it woks great. The customer can rotate the file and hide/unhide parts for viewing but can not export anything for security reasons.

Krow72

Both the companies that I have worked for used the 3-D pdf format & it is awesome! It lets anyone in the production plant actually open the file at their computers without having the CAD software & they don't miss with your files.

Good Luck!

A couple of ways to do it for free:

1. you can export as a STL file, too difficult to reverse engineer, cant take measurements off model.

2. alternately install eDrawings for proe and export as an eDrawing model, you can also export assemblies this way, this would also be too difficult to reverse engineer and measurements can't be taken from the model. You can also export an exe file which can be opened by a customer without them installing the eDrawings viewer. All free (there is a paid version with more functionality). This would be my choice.

I heard that we also could save it as an AutoCAD file, my colleague told me that, but I don't know how to do that, does anybody know this way?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back