Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Newly created features in translated mode

wattie978

Hi Folks!

I am about to ask you giving me a hand in this issue.
I have a modell that is converted from another cad system, i do not know which one since i do not have the "original" file. I beleive it is translated from iges.

And now i want to create some extrude in this part file translated from iges. I do not know which system this iges came from. So i want to create some cut - extrude, remove material - but the model is unchanged and ProE WF2.0 M190 says that the feature is entirely outside the model. I can create an extrude by adding material but not removing material. Do you have any idea what to do?

I have tried to convert it to iges, neutral and step. In none of them were I able to create a cut. Ok i went to assembly mode and merged together an empty and the wanted file. But i cannot create a cut. If i start with adding material and then create another extrude by removing material, the first extrude changes but not the imported geometry.

The model is fairly complicated so i do not want to recreate. I am not able to have my boss to pay for data translating via internet.

Is there a solution for this issue at all?

It sounds like your imported geometry was left as sufaces, not a solid. If this is the case, you will either need to repair the geometry (zip gaps, etc.) and solidify, or you can create the cuts as surfaces by cutting the quilts or extuding a new quilt and merging.

Good Luck!

Definitely sounds like surface geometry. You can tell by the colors in wireframe display. Quilts are fuscia. You can try the repair geometry route, I have never had much luck. Better to get the original resent in STEP format but it sounds like that is not possible. I have had good luck creating solid geometry in Pro/E using the IGES geometry as sketching references but this could take a long time since you say it is a complicated model.

If you could upload the I could take a look at it to see if the model could be solidified easy.

To find out what cad package it was drawn in open the file up in notepad and you will see the cad program it was originally from in the header

Hey guys!

Thank you very much for your help. I have tried the method today and it worked.

Moroso, unfortunately i am not allowed to send any model to any mail adress from the company and i cannot use any data storage device :(, but I really appreaciate your offer. Thank you!

So the way i did, but not sure whether there is an easier way:
created a new asm
constrained the surface modell
ctrl+c ctrl+v the surface geometry (I was able to select all surfaces in one click)
inserted some other parts that i wanted to merge later
created new component (1st new part)
activated new component
ctrl+c ctrl+v the earlier copied (with one click) geometry
created another new component (2nd new part)
merged together the necessary "some other parts" and the first new part that contained the copied geometry into the 2nd new file

I am sure there should be some other solution for this purpose. I was hardly trying but cannot solidify my "original" model. I tried to heal the geometry with option automatic, but it did not make any difference.

But i have another modell....
And in this modell i cannot select all surfaces with one click :(.
It is even more complicated than the other part i met yesterday. Is there a way to get all those some hundred surfaces together? So later i could select that quilt with one click. This is my will since i want to cut the half of the part. But now i a not able with those small surfaces.

Just one more question in this reply: we want a 3D printed prototype of this modell. So i asked the manufacturer whether a surface - solid mixed modell is problem for them, but said No absolutely no. Could be this right? I mean what a prototype will look like if there are only surfaces in the original model. And what about shell models?

Thank you in advance.

Healing geometry is a sometimes very tough, it takes me sometimes 2 hours to fully knit up a model.

One thing to try in the future is play around with the absolute accuracy then try to heal it up. It sometimes makes a world of difference.

Good Luck

Brian

You were right Moroso: healing is very taugh.
Today i have tried to finish the model. In healing i selected the parts quilts. But after clicking on Done the computer were crunching for more than 1 hour. So i tried to select only 1/3 of it. It had accured the same process. So i gave up and found an easier way: recreated some important features that i want to use in assembly :) Not an elegant but definately useful and cheaper solution :)

Thank you guys for your assistance.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back