Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

New simplified rep -> shrunken component!

altendky

I have a parent assembly which contains a child assembly. I created a new simplified rep in the child assembly and referenced that new child rep from a preexisting rep in the parent assembly. Now when I open the parent assembly using the preexisting rep (referencing the new child rep) the child assembly shows the new rep as expected but is much too small. 25.4 times too small, I assume. Both assemblies are mmNs, but various other components are certainly English. I can control whether the child is normal or small by changing which child rep is referenced by the parent rep (the new one or master), closing/erasing all, and reopening the parent.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I

Open the assembly with the simp rep change to the master rep. Measure the size of something you know. then go to edit-setup-units and verify the units used are correct. One of these two things should be wrong. If your in inches but drawn in mm then change units and either allow the change to scale the value or select 1:1 depending on what you found. My first impression is that you drew something in inch values with the mm unit active thus when imported to the assembly it was evaluated to be 24.5 times smaller than what you intended.

I had a PTC trainer once say to me get your hamster going, he meant just experiment and investigate different permutations, menu options and tactics, bang on the software until it does what you want, try as many things as you can, you will also figure out what not to do.

I have found that UDFs cause problems in this realm of changing units in WF3.
I pulled a nice UDF from this site to make a NPT thread, mostly to learn how it was done, the geometry does not change size when changing the units from inch to mm. Not sure why, still chewing on this one.

Any one understand the UDF issue?

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I don't believe it's a simple issue of having been drawn the wrong size since loading the parent assembly with the child's master rep brings the child in correctly. The issue is only with the custom child rep being loaded in by the parent and only if the child isn't already in memory.

As to the hamster approach, I can't agree more. There's an XKCD comic on the topic saying that most of 'being good with computers' is simply being willing to go through the menus and try stuff. The problem is that my hamster has been running in his wheel for awhile and somehow he's no closer to the food. I'd much prefer to figure this out but soon I'll likely just solve the original problem differently and avoid this issue all together. :[

Best of luck on your UDF issue... I can't shed any light on that.

Cheers,
-kyle

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back