Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Needed Start Part Guidance

fiebigc

I work for a company about to begin our first project. I was hoping I could get a little guidance to creating start parts/assemblies. In the past I've always used a saved file labeled "start-part.prt" or "start-assembly.asm" each file containing the useful settings. Then I would copy and rename them when I needed a new part or assembly. Recently I've become aware of a template file that will create the desired part or assembly files, however I haven't found very much information on it. Could someone share the pros and cons of these approaches. Thanks.

There are several config options for this:
<UL>
<LI>template_designasm - Full path to your start assy</LI>
<LI>template_drawing - Full path to your default drawing template.</LI>
<LI>template_solidpart - Full path to your start part</LI>
<LI>template_sheetmetalpart - Full path to your sheetmetal start part. I have it set to the same as my start part so I don't have to maintain 2 nearly identical files. I just convert to sheet metal before I get started.</LI>
<LI>start_model_dir - Full path to the folder containing your start models</LI>[/list]

There may be more, but that should get you started.

The config.pro options
- template_solidpart my_standard_part_with_path
- template_designasm my_standard_asm_with_part
- template drawing my_standard_drawing_with_path
should point to your start parts.
You can have as many different start parts as you like, even with geometry. You put them all into one folder. The config option points to your standard part, if you uncheck use standard, you can select what you like.
A start part should have
- a coordinate system
- standard datum planes
- all parameters you need
- named views
- layers if you dont use def_layer
- a material file assigned
- relations to show material and weight in your drawing
- and what you think necessary.
If the config.pro option rename_drawings_with_objects is set to both and a drawing with the same name as your start part is in that folder, a drawing will be created.
This option also works when copying.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back