Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Multi-model Drawing

verge

How do I make the second (or third or fourth for that matter) part added to a drawing appear in the parts list? The format I've developed pulls in all the parts with quantities, weights, etc., but the second part added doesn't appear in the list.

Anyone know how to solve this?

If I understood your issue:

Right mouse Click on the drawing
Click Properties
Click Drawing Models
Click Add Models

Then Activate the model that you want to Insert a View

This is an example I whipped together. The exhaust pipe consists of all of the parts you see in the BOM. The e-vent, which I added as the second model, doesn't show up in the BOM. I can make it show up in the drawing, and in the model tree, but nothing shows up in the BOM.View attachment 3187

I notice that you active model is "Basin_E-Vent"

you need to activate the "e-vent" to load it in your BOM by right mouse click on the second model (assuming on the right hand side "e-vent") and activate it

that's my guess

Tried that - the option to "Activate" doesn't appear. Tried right-clicking on it in the model tree with similar results. Sheesh!

On the bottom of the screen shot, double-click in ProE on the "BASIN_E_VENT", that will bring up a selection with the E-VENT.

That's definitely valuable information. Unfortunately, it doesn't bring in the parameters. I think I'll have to fish around in the Tables and Repeat Regions areas to see what I can find. I'm getting there...

As far as I know you can't show in a BOM 2 different assemblies. Your BOM shows only the components for the active model.

You could make an assembly out of those 2. Set the active model to be this new assembly, then add a BOM that will show those two, make them flat/recursive. Then filter those 2 assemblies. And you will end up with a BOM with all the components.

There is another option, but its not exactly what you are looking for.

You have created a BoM for your first assembly. You could now create a seperate BoM for the second assembly (RHM Properties, Drawing Models, Set Model and choose the second assembly. Now insert a new BoM table [Table, Insert etc]).

Kev

The BOM table works only on one asm, in other words you cannot add several asm into one BOM.

The BOM is created from first model you choose when you created drawing. If you change activate model, the BOM will remain from first model.

If you want to change model that is shown in BOM, then go to Table > Repeat region > Model/Rep and select another asm that is in your drawing.
Now BOM will show components from another asm, and components from firs will be removed from BOM.

The solution for this problem, is either create dummy asm and put all your asm in it, using simp reps create rep that you will use to show in drawing and another rep that will show in BOM.

Negative effect of this is that you cannot add BOM balloons automatically, but you must create them manually (because balloons can be attached only to components that are in BOM table).

Second option is to create multiple sheets on drawing, and there show different asm with associative BOM tables.

The BOM can only look at oneassembly at a time. I'll assume BASIN_VENT is the assembly you loaded with the five parts showing in the BOM. Merely adding another part will not make it appear in the BOM. Only parts in the BASIN_VENT assembly will appear.

You can have a BOM with multiple repeat regions, however, and each repeat region can look at different assemblies or, for that matter, different representations of the same assembly, but your BOM doesn't appear to havemore than a single repeat region.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back