Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

modeling welded parts and drawings

ronfya

Hello there,

I wonder how you model welded parts. When it comes to the drawing, if you modeled as a one piece part, the lines related to the junction of the welded parts of the main part do not appear on the drawing. I would like them to appear on the drawing but to save some time, I would not like to model simple welded parts as an assembly of even simpler parts.

Any way to proceed I don't know ?

Thanks.

Its impossible unless you model and offset your walls by a few thousanths to keep them from being on the same plane. Theres really only one way to model a weldment and thats in an assembly.

If the model is in the proposal stage I model the weldment as a single part to save time.

But for the final welded parts I always make a assembly. Why? Because you will need to make a drawing and you will need to show a BOM with all the parts so that manufacturing knows what parts to weld and their size, material....Even if it's a simple 2 parts welded together I always make an assembly.

Vlad1979 is absolutly right after all you need two parts to weld. plus they don't need to be offset either. You can select surf to sufr and the you select a continuous surf and done.

View attachment 3984
Edited by: arroyopr

I agree with arroyopr and vlad1979. Unfortunately the company where I work is using other technique.

They are doing first the weldedassembly as a part(0.2 mm offset between parts), then that part is merged into another part and the machining features are made on it.

Edited by: Tudor

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back