Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Modal Analysis, Contact

mtpier

Hello all,

I have 2 questions I could use some help with.

1. I have a 4 piece assembly I am doing a static analysis on. I defined contact regions and screw connections to the assembly. When I apply a force, the parts bend as expected; however, there is a small section ofone part that is going through its mating part. I tried decreasing the elements in this area. I also triedusing interface instead of contact. I tried changing the connection type in Pro as well. Any suggestions? Does Pro/M have a bit of expected error that would allow this to happen?

2. I am doing a modal analysis of the same assembly. The contact regions are ignored and the parts go through one another even more so. What is the proper way to handle areas that need contact in modal analysis?

Any help is appreciated

-Mike

Hello mtpier,

one way is to merge your parts in assembly mode into one part, and then do your modal analysis.

Hello slasa75. I Thought about doing this, but wouldn't this provide invalid results because the interaction between the parts in not homogenous as the results would suggest.

Thanks

-Mike

hi,

Contacts will not work in modal analysis , but the contact behaviour has to captured

becuase the stiffness of the system will be different. We can try an inverse method.

If you know which mode is the most important try to do a static-contact analysis by

applying some load in that direction.compute the stiffness of the system from analysis results.you can find the inertia of the individual components using pro-e. Then use the stiffness to inertia ratio to find the frequency that exites in that direction.

regards

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back