Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

missing dimensions

1ntegr8r

I have a model with holes that are on a user-defined datum and reference the edges of a surface parallel to that datum. In the drawing I can only get one of the two placement dimensions to show. This is probably because the references may not be "ideal", but for this part I can't think of another way to do it + it is a one-off, with no possible future modification requirements. Is there a way to insert a dimension between geometry elements (like analysis>measure distance would give)? The final product of this is just a drawing for a machine shop, so I need to be able to show all relevant dimensions.

Thanks for any ideas!

the easiest way: create the dimension in drawing if you don't have one available from the model.

It will not be a dimension from model, but it will still update, if something change in model...

I have resolved the issue by manually dimensioning that section. Thanks.I'm relatively new to Pro/E and am still learning the tricks.

BTW what do you mean "true view"? It is an inserted general view, but I'm not sure what constitutes an "untrue" view...

TRUE in this sense means the geometry that you want to show dimensions of is orthogonal to the viewing plane. There is a drawing .dtl setting allow_3d_dimensions that will let you show dimensions in non-orthogonal views even though the dimension will be fore-shortened by the viewing angle.

1ntegr8r said:
BTW what do you mean "true view"? It is an inserted general view, but I'm not sure what constitutes an "untrue" view...
To go further, True views show the True length of the feature and not the PROJECTED length of a feature. If a feature say hole is inclined to both the FRONT and TOP plane, you cannot get a true length of the hole in either Plan or in the Front view. You would need to create a CUTTING plane passing thru the axis of the hole, and then Create an auxilliary view in the drawing. You would now be able to dimension the hole.

This would be the correct procedure to dimension a feature.

Oh OK. The original view was not a true view, but I rotated the part so the portion to be dimensioned was orthogonal to the viewing plane and then dimensioned it. So yes, I did end up with a true view. Thanks for the clarification.

I got something from the discussion ,
smiley17.gif

Create a View Parallel to the Sketch Placement plane in order to show the dimension. Can you post an image or is it Proprietary?

what software/s have you used previously to Pro? Or are you just getting into 3D CAD?

A bit curious?
I know most of the packages so maybe I can explain how to perform their methods in Proe/Creo

Michael
P.S. My Bad maybe when adding stuff to old posts just PM Personal Message the users that helped out so I don't waste my ti:me

Edited by: mjcole_ptc

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back