Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Mirror part or assembly.

Marek60

Hello,

I don't know a good and satisfying procedures for designing and
building parts or assemblies, which are a mirror copy of existing
models.

Usually, my steps are:

1. select part

2. set symmetry (or mirror) plane

3. mirror part

4. "artificially" remove unwanted portion of the part from my eyes,
(usually by adding "cut" feature, which one is removing this portion
what I don't want to see)

I am not very happy wit this procedure, which one is giving me problems when updating.

Also, I was never lucky to mirror assembly.

Could anybody advice to me more professional way?

Thank you,

For a part or assembly that is to be mirrored, create an assembly and insert the part or subassembly into it. In the assembly select the Create Component in Assembly icon or Insert>Component>Create. In the dialog box under the partor subassembly selection choose mirror. Save the parts. You can delete the assembly since it is only used temporarily to create the mirrored part or mirrored subassembly.

If you want parts that are mirror images of eachother for the most part with one part having some additional features, first determine whatfeatures are common to both parts. Create a base part with those feaures and mirror the part using the description above. You can then open the mirrored part and add the additional features. If you add features to the base part later those features will show up in the mirrored part when you regenerate it.

It works similarly with assemblies in that when you mirror the assembly, mirrored versions of the parts are created. You also have the option of excluding parts from the mirror. However, if you add a component later to an assembly that was mirrored, that part does not get mirrored when the assembly is regenerated.

FYI - If using any Pro/Program statements ,you run a high chance of the software telling you it cannot mirror part or assembly.

Keep this in mind if you use Pro/Program.

Jim

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back