Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Mirror Feature in Wildfire 2.0

ankita

Hello,

I am using wildfire2.0 .

I have a part where I have created certain feature by using mirror option.When I go to the parent of the mirror feature and try to add/delete the references it doesn't allow me to do so??? I have to create the feature from start.... is there any solution to this?

I know this wasn't the case in Pro/e 2001....

Thanks,

Hi Ankita
I think you need insert your new feature before the mirror
feature so yo can add it.

Zaki Thanks for the reply.

But I think you mis understood my question. I am not adding new feature. I want to modify(add/delete) references of the parent feature.

Ankita

Once you have created a dependent copy of a feature, you cannot change it's references. No way around it, sorry.

That's the reason I never mirror features. There are lots of other ways to create symmetric geometry.

ankita said:
I know this wasn't the case in Pro/e 2001....

Not true, it's been this way in the 13+ years I've used Pro|E, back to Release 16.

Are yousaying that I cann't change the references of the parent?

I just want to add a new reference and get rid of the old one.....

"There are lots of other ways to create symmetric geometry"

Which are they....................

Thanks

Thanks Kdem

I did that and then I am in the sketch mode.In the Sketch mode I want to delete one of the surface asreference and add a datum plane as a reference. But it's not allowing me to do that... It's not giving me any error messages either....

Not edit definition, edit references. That will show you each reference, one at a time and allow you to pick new ones. Make sure you say yes to rolling back the model.

As fara as other ways of creating symmetry, you could create a symmetric sketch, you can create a copy of the surfaces of the feature you want to mirror and mirror the quilt and solidify it. If the entire part is symmetric, create it as half and mirror the entire part at the end. You can create symmetry in the sketch of the new feature using the symmetric constrant to existing geometry.

Without understanding the geometry you are working with, it's hard to say which would be best.

Thanks dgs and kdem

It did work but half...

I Did the Edit references.....but it's changing the reference in the parent and not the child. so my parent feature has a different geometry than the child(I am creating a cut and with adding up a new reference the cut moves)If i change the dim. in parent it changes in the child to but it's not changing it's reference as per parent......

We would have to see the geometry to tell what is happening. Is this something you can upload or can you make a simplified part showing the detail of what you are trying to accomplish?

As far as I remember, you need can only change the references (with either redefine or reroute) if the mirror feature is referencing entities (such as quilts). If you are mirroring features, you can only change the mirror plane.

Sam

Here are the images.

Now if I change the dim. seen in the first image cut on the both side gets updated because of the mirror feature.

But as seen in image 2 I want to change the reference in my (extrued 4) feature so that it shoud get updated accouding to the cut updates in the feature seen in the image 1.

BTW this extrude 4 has also mirror feature....

Thank you all for all the help you are giving me...

If I understand what you're trying to do correctly, try creating the section as an external sketch to extrusion 4. I think youwill then be able to specify the references you want.

Kdem,

May be you are right.Would you please explain how to do it? because when I got to extrude feature and try selectig a sketch (I had created this using insert sketch option) it doesn't allow me to do so is ther anything I am missing here....

Got It Kdem!!

The section had a open loop so wasn't creating the sketch. This solves my problem and this way I can add or delete the references in the parent feature.that's great!!!!! This is what I was looking for

Thank you all for the help.
smiley32.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back