Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Merge - casting / machine part

bigmac

I'm running WF4.0 and haven't done a merge in quite awhile. I have a casting model and want to create a machine part using the merge command. The machine part will get faced off and some holes drilled in it. Here is what I did:

- Created "dummy" assembly with no datums or cso's.

- Created "machined" part with default datums and cso's only.

- Assembled "machined" part into "dummy" assembly without any constraints.

- Assembled "cast" part into "dummy" assembly aligning the cso's of the "cast" and "machine" parts.

I then picked: Edit, Component Operations, and wanted to pick Merge but Merge is grayed out. Is there a config option that controls this now? Is this the correct procedure for creating a merge? If not can you post up the steps to create a merge? TIA for any help you can provide.

I think it would be simpler to create the casting and then do an simplified rep with the machined features as the last features with them turned off. Both parts one file!

Or you could do a family table using the same basic method. Again both parts one file!
Edited by: nbaptist

Thanks nbaptist for the reply. Unfortunately, the company I work for wants two separate files, one for the casting and one for the machining. Also, no FT's.

Tryit in part mode, open Machined.Prtthen do Insert, Shared Data, Merge/Inheritance and assemble the "cast" part as if it were a part-to-asm assembly, here is a part-to-part assembly using same kind of constr.

If that's grayed out, you might not have the right licence (advanced asm).

You can do it in ASM mode too, just make sure you have the "machined" part active[right-click on it in model tree and pick Activate].

Notes: You don't need the dummy ASM if youdo it in PRT mode.Inheritance option lists the features under the original PRT - Read the help see if you need that option.
Edited by: hojda1

Well I figured out why the merge command wasn't working. I tried hojda1's suggestions andthe merge command was still grayed out and nothing worked. I got to thinking it has to be something else that isn't set right. I opened Tools/Reference Control/Objects. The "None" box was checked. I changed it to "ALL". Went back and did the merge with no problems just like I did before. I'm doing contract work so I don't know why they had it set to "None". Thanks again guys for your help. Without it I probably wouldn't have figured this one out!

What is the use of buying a sophisticated toobox when you set a policy to use the rock to pound a nail.

We always have it set to none by default, keeps out a lot of unintended external references. I've got a mapkey to change it when I need it.

dr_gallup, after talking to some other users here that is why they have it set to none. Mapkey is a great idea. I'll have to make one. Thanks.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back