Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Mechanica distance load vs force load

kiwinige

How to I apply a distance moved load to an edge or a surface rather than a force?

It's straight forward to apply a force and find out how far it moved.
But I want to move an edge by a set amount and find out how much stress it generates (or how much force it takes).

I think you mean a prescribed displacement.

Just create a seperate contraint for that edge and define your displacement (click theicon to the right of the "fixed" icon) on the field which comes available to the right of that icon.

If you have prescibed displacements in your constraint set you do not need a loadcase in order to run a analysis. Just select the constraintset you want to use and select NO loadcases (empty loadcases will cause the run to fail). Forces can be retrieved by requesting the constraint reactions.

kiwinige,

Victor suggestion is correct, however, using prescribe displacement "may" over constraint the model at the application location creatingunrealistic strains/stresses. The reality is that all displacement are due to applied forces, however there are times that we know the displacement but not the force to accomplish it. In this cases you can applied a unit load (1 lb, 1 newton, etc) to the model find out howmuch it displaces. Sincemechanica is a linear code you can then calculate from this information how much more force will needs to be applied in order to accomplish the displacement required.

For example: if I have a cantiliver beam and a unit load (1 pound) is applied at the end. After running the modelthe displacement at the end is calculated to be 0.25 inches. If I want the final displacement to be 1 inch I will need to multiply the load by four (4 pounds). That is my displacement need to be multiply by 4 to get 1 inch, therefore, the load must be multiply by the same factor. The same trick works for any other quatity ( stresses, strain, etc).

Unit load Require Load

------------------------- =-----------------

Calulated displacement Require displacement

Cheers

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back