Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Measuring 3D .pdf files

SW

I've created a 3D .pdf file using Wildfire 4's save a copy option. I would like the recipient of the file to be able to measure the 3D geometry within the .pdf, but the measure functionality doesn't seem to be available.

Am I missing something obvious or do I need to create the files with the full version of Acrobat to enable measurement?

Cheers,

Sam

Excellent question - I have the same question!!!
smiley4.gif

I love 3D PDF though, for these reasons:
1.the ability to highly compress your models so the guys receiving it can't actually use that geometry and steal it (would like confirmation on this) plus it's fast to send across the web because of its small size.

2.shading with highlights so the programs light setup is remembered or perhaps the reader creates its own.

3.the ability to turn on your edges, very powerful for seeing other people's patch layouts in parts heavily surfaced.

4.adobe reader is installed on practically every system around, and is free.

Now I've seen measuring stated as a "feature" too but I can't find it either. My guess is that measuring isn't possible when you open the file with the free Adobe Reader and you need the paid version - Acrobat.

It's certainly not Pro/E's fault because my experiences come from SolidWorks.

Edited by: Kevin De Smet

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back