Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Maximum Number of Open Windows

rshearer

Is there a way to increase the maximum number of open windows in a Pro-E session to a number greater than 15?

skraba said:
Simply put, replace your graphic card with the one with more VRAM.

Skraba, this is not correct. Pro/ENGINEER currently has a hard-coded maximum number of windows it can have open, and that number is 15. It cannot be changed by users.

Incidentally, "Windows" are not limited to windows with models in them. In certain cases, such as the photorendering window, other windows will contribute to that limit.

There must be a "config" file or some other file type that sets this limit in ProEngineer. Is there a reason for this limitation?

rshearer said:
There must be a "config" file or some other file type that sets this limit in ProEngineer. Is there a reason for this limitation?

There isn't a way to change this behavior, it's hard coded in the executable. I'm sure there must be a reason, but whatever it is, it isn't shared publicly
smiley18.gif

Maybe stupid question but, why do you need more than 15 windows. Are you able to handle 15 windows of information at the same time?

Since you can have other windows In Session and open them when you actually need them, I don't see the point having 15 windows open at the same time.

When reviewing a design that was created by someone else remotely, there is the need to have several windows In Session to avoid having to wait for the load time associated with opening each one individually.

Perhaps, the better question is to ask......Is it possible to increase the maximum number of windows In Session to more than 15?

Would adding a second monitor help? I only use one so I am not sure if the limit would still apply when using two.

It still applies...

I've encountered this problem, and it is most annoying...

Usually when opening a bunch of drawings to print, but bottom liine is PTC shouldn't dictate it unless there's a good reason.

"Would adding a second monitor help? I only use one so I am not sure if the limit would still apply when using two. "

No, I don't believe that a second monitor would help since the limitation is Pro-E driven. The problem is not video memory related on my system. Although that may have been the reason for the original restriction.

In the past it use to be a max of 10 windows opened. PTC bumped it to 15 in one of the Wildfire releases, I'm not sure which one.

rshearer said:
Perhaps, the better question is to ask......Is it possible to increase the maximum number of windows In Session to more than 15?

Sounds to me like this is just a re-wording of the original question. The answer is still "no." The 15-window limit is hard-coded in the Pro/E executable.

davidinindy said:
... bottom liine
is PTC shouldn't dictate it unless there's a good reason.

What would be a "good reason" for you? I don't know about you, but I don't know their decision making process. Maybe they have what they consider a "good reason" and just didn't share it publicly.

skraba said:
Since you can have other windows In Session and open them when you
actually need them, I don't see the point having 15 windows open at the
same time.

I agree here. Having a model loaded in session is not the same as having the model displayed in a window. You don't have to "#File > #Erase" to close a window, you can do "#Window > #Close," leaving the model resident in Pro/E memory. Opening a new window to display the model again (using #File > #Open) should be nearly instantaneous.

All that being said... I would hazard a guess that the "good reason" PTC had for setting the limit has to do with computing power. I don't think the limit has been touched for a couple releases, so you could make the case to PTC that "it's due."

Edited by: wamarler

If you have another license available you could open two sessions. We seldom use all of our licenses at the same time.

We have several licenses but that is not a the route that I want to pursue since we do use most of our licenses concurrently.

What about the limitation of 32 characters in file names not to mention using spaces even - symbol for names in model tree? Another annoying thing is that each proe window is it's own entity and not grouped in a main window allowing multuple windows on one screen like in excel.

To get more than 15 windows launch a duplicate session of proe and you can have 30 which should suffice.

I have a single license but multiple sessions on onePC only require one license because you can't possibly use both at the same time unless you have multiple mouse pointers.

Michael

Edited by: mjcole_ptc

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back