Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

maximum number of features in a .prt

guy_rounce

Does anyone know if there is a maximum number of features you can have in a single .prt file.

Im working on a model that pushing 5000 and would like to know in advance if Im going to reach a ceiling.

There are alot of patterns of simple features so the model is still orientating and regenerating fine as it stands.

thanks.

Dont think there is a "maximum number" of features, maybe there is a limit consideing the file size? (or regeneration time)

I just tried to make a block, put a point at it, made a pattern that made 10000 points. Then put an axis thru the point and made a reference pattern. That made a part with over 20k features and it worked. Regeneration time was fast. i then put a hole thru the axis and tried to pattern the hole... and didnt have the time to wait for it to be done. I do think i would actually work ;-) If it would have been a real job, then i wouldnt done it this way, probably would have use the drawing to show some features, or use simplify part or something...

When working on large parts, sometimes you should consider looking more into modelling technique and see if you are using the right method for the task.

Sounds like a complex part if you are close to 5000 , is it possible for you to upload a pic?

//Tobias

I have parts with 50000+ features and haven't hit a ceiling yet, although redefinition and regeneration times are sometimes long. There's Read Only and Simplified Reps to manage the unwieldiness.

I vaguely recall in the old, old, pre-Intent Manager Pro/E releases there was a limit on the new number of sketched entities in Sketcher. It seems to me I would see an error message pop up when I had too many lines or something like that. Anyone remember that?

yeah i remeber that! I started using pro/E in release 18. I also recall that PTC suggetsed not to use more than 30 enteties in your sketch. (seems logic to me)

//Tobias

Cool chair Bart! Must be like 400 features, and 21600 rounds on that one! Do you remember how the curves were done? I would probably go for a surface that would be formed for the back, so i could project all the curves on it , and then make all the sweep (and rounds) But the thing is, how do you specify the curves?

//Tobias

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back