Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

material files from proe into mechanica

saspinall

Hi all

We've created some material files and used them in the parts through Edit > Setup > Material > Assign and the config.pro option points to the material lib. One of our guys is trying to use thermal analysis and comes out with strange results. What parameters from the material file does thermal use and in what format ie units, should the parameters be in. We use imperial units for our dimensions and are currently on M160 of Wildfire 2. Also does mechanica have its own materials library and can we add our materials into this library or is the mechanica library fixed.

I could also ask the same question for the structural side of mechanica, ie what parameters of the material file does it use and in what units should they be in in the materials files.

Any thermal or structural tutorials would be useful as well

Thanks in advance

Stu

Yes Mechanica has its own material library and you can add your materials into but in its own format, I mean manually add there.

If you are legal user you can have very tutorilas by ptc on the subject.

Israr

Thanks Israr

What format do they have to be in and where are they stored.

Also, what units do the material files use ie MPa, kJ etc

Stu

.libformat it is referred to as and is saved in

Mechanica Load Folder\i486_nt\lib\mmatl.lib

Units does not matter as you can select any unit system you want to have.

Israr

Cheers, if I want to add to the mmatl.lib file, can I edit using text editor ie notepad as I do with creating material files.

Surely the units matter as you can't simply insert any old number.

ps. I've found that the file opens up great in Excel and it uses Roark & Young, 5th Ed data. Anyone know where these figures can be found

Stu

The best way to add materials into library is open the material dialogue box while in mechanica mode. There you add properties and all units are available. The save it there and it will autmatically add to the library.

Israr

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back