Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Mapkey for copy/paste commands

kevino819

I'm wondering if there's a way to create a mapkey to do copy/paste commands. Even if I could get the command line for copy and pasteto use in editing config.pro I could use that.

I have tried recording the steps to get my part number copied into the name field for a new drawing by recording file-rename-copy-close, file-new-drawing-paste. The copy and paste operations I do with the keyboard (record keyboard input is selected- right clicking then selecting copy/paste doesn't get recognized either) don't get recorded.

I've also tried inputing the parameter &model_name (used in our drawing formats for model number) into the name field for new drawing and that just puts in '&model_name', rather than the parameter.

Thanks!

I've not had lush with this. The mapkey just records the text that get's entered rather than the actual ctrl-C and ctrl-V keystrokes. Not sure tehre is a way around that, unfortunately.

I did more searching and came across the same thing, mapkeys just don't do copy/paste (I'm on wf3, so no vb). I don't think there's an elegant way to do it with a batch file either (nor am I a programmer).

In a previous job this was done automatically (new drawing number matched current part/asm number), but I think that was because it pulled a parameter value through windchill. I have tried using the same parameter we have on drawing formats and placing that in the mapykey code where I type the new drawing name, but it just puts the text&part_name, not the value.

People have published techniques to do this, you might find one by searching. I think it usually involves writing a temp file to disk to get the name and using some kind of external scripting language.

A mapkey does work if you pause and have prompts at the copy and paste stages.

Incidentally, &model_name works for me from the format.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back