Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

linking dimensions

dewme5

We are moving from Pro/e to Solidworks. I guess I'm just searching it wrong, because I am unable to find any solutions.

When sketching, and I want to reference one dimension with another, how and where is that input? Suppose I want to link an angle to a center line. Two lines are 40 degrees apart, and I want them each 20 degrees from the center line.

In Pro/E, when sketching, I would dimension the 40 degree angle, calling it "mainAngle". Then, I would dimension the line 20 degrees from the center, inputting a formula "mainAngle/2". If at some point in the future I want 42 degree separation, the 20 degree angle would update itself to 21 degrees.

What am I over looking in solidworks to do this?

Double Click the dimension you want to be half angle click on the Drop Down on the right hand side and select add relation.

Pick the mainAngle dimension and youll see it's dim_id "D1@SketchName" get placed in the Relation box
type / 2 and hit enter.

One thing to be careful of is that if you delete the main angle the next dimension you make will get the lowest D# id and might cause problems with the relation.

Linked Dimensions are another method for dimensions you want to be equal. You can have a Radius in a sketcch linked to a radius of a fillet feature and be able to change either one and update the other and have a bidirectional association. You can call the linked Radius "RDEF" both linked dimensions will share this ID. I wish Pro/E could do that.

Michael

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back