Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Licence for 2001

elless27

Hi guys,
Im not sure if this is the right place for this post but Im getting a licence request failure because the licence key and data do not match when I try to open the .exe file. I changed the expiry date on the licence.dat file, as it was out of date, but I dont know how to update the pro_lic.dat file to reflect the changes. Also according to the error it calls that file pro_lic.dat but in my folder "Program Files/proe2001/text/licencing/proe" that file is an RES file. Im not sure if this is the problem but can anyone tell me how to get the files to reflect eachother so that I can open the software. Its been a while since I used the software so I cant remember how to fix the problem.

I hope I explained it properly enough

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
elless
smiley11.gif

2001, as the name implies, is seriously old. Pro/E licenses are tied to the hardware, was your license issued to run on the PC that you are currently using? If not, you're going to need to contact PTC to get a new license. In the past, I think that PTC would issue new license files for expired licenses to tie them to new hardware, but some have said recently that they no longer do that or that they charge to do it.

Also, I doubt you can change the date in the file and have it work. You need to leave your file as is, I believe.

Well actually the first thing you should try is to set your computer date back to some time in May of 2000 and then try to start ProE, which in the case if it is a simple expired license should get you up and running. If it comes back and basically lets y know that the license pack is invalid for that machine then you have it loaded on a different machine then the license was created for. To test this you can go to your license dat file and open it in either word pad or note pad (don't remember which one works better for Pro anymore). In that file you should be able to locate the MAC address that the license is associated with - assuming you simply copied the software to the hard drive of this machine or put the hard drive in this machine. You at this time can do a test, but you must realize I am going to suggest doing a registry edit, which can be rather risky for many to deal with if they are unfamiliar with dealing with the registry. Everytime you restart your machine the registry reads in your MAC address into one of the keys. The MAC address comes from your network card from the previous machine (assuming you don't have that network card anymore, if you do then insert it into the 2nd machine and you should be good to go). What you can do after your computer is up replace the registry MAC address with theone from your previous computer and it should start up fine, but if you restart your registry will revert back to the net cards MAC address. Another option if you are using a desk top with two slots that can handle anetwork card, then add a second network card, which basically confuses the settings in your computer and now you can manually enter in the MAC address of your choice. This is basically a work around for calling tech support and requesting a new license pack, which I am guessing is actually a copy of one out there. I hope this gives you some ideas.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back